Rain advice

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
objetty
Angler

Rain advice

Post by objetty »

I have tickets for a boat this Sunday but it looks like we might get rain from this hurricane down by baja.

Other than, I'll take your tickets... any advice or info I should know about how it works at the lake when there is rain? Does the staff close the lake road or access under any circumstances?

Of course, I'll keep an eye on the weather and skip it if there looks like there will be gale force wind or lightning but just wanted to know if anyone knows what they do for anything other than light rain. I'm sure there's no refunds from those greedy bastards at TicketMaster.

Thanks for any info!

One of my recent Barrett monsters :twisted:
PXL_20230722_142600942.jpg
Early release
Extreme Angler

Re: Rain advice

Post by Early release »

It would have to rain quite a bit to start runoff that would really impact the road. There's a couple spots that I think may need attention for this winter, because they might wash out. One actually has a cone by it. Weather underground is predicting less than an inch of rain. But if you look at the hourly, it doesn't look like a deluge, just a steady wetting. https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ ... /2023-8-20

It's rained a couple times on me while fishing this year. Didn't hurt the fishing at all. I just put my rainsuit on and fished.
Wearing my stylish baggie
Wearing my stylish baggie
objetty
Angler

Post by objetty »

Hahaha. I've been a Weather Underground user for years. We're following the same info. They upgraded the rain totals and pattern this afternoon to show what you said. Steady light rain. Bottom line is they have no idea because hurricane tracks are unpredictable. I'm keeping my eye on the wind and lightning possibilities.

Thanks for the input!
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Some of the best fishing is during downpours
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Thanks for the post. Going Saturday and will be prepared!
Attachments
IMG_6941.jpeg
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

Rain - not so much of a problem. I have had plenty of good fishing to great fishing at Barrett and other places in light to heavy rain. Heavy enough to have to bail the boat some to keep from standing in water all day.

Wind can be a problem. Many years ago got to Barrett on a cold rainy morning. However it was too windy to safely get out on the water - staff wouldn't let boats leave the dock.. Sunday has a potential to be very windy with especially high gusts (some of the weather models forecast gusts over 25), especially in the afternoon.

Thunderstorms, which there is a chance of on Sunday. Bigger problem. You don't want to be on the water with a bunch of graphite sticks when there is lightning.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

This is a good question that never comes up, as rain during the Barrett season is rare, but is this venue rain or shine?

I'd love to be out there in the rain in the middle of the summer, considering the alternative.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Weather has been updated to show thunderstorms mid-day. I'd also suggest that's a good time not to be fishing. There's speculation on the web that this could be the first tropical storm/hurricane to make landfall in So Cal since 1963. That might make for strange weather too. If you go, keep an eye on the sky, wind direction is supposed to be mostly NNE, but I'd have my head on a swivel, because like tailingloop said, a lot of wind at Barrett can make a real dangerous situation.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

DarkShadow wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:24 am This is a good question that never comes up, as rain during the Barrett season is rare, but is this venue rain or shine?

I'd love to be out there in the rain in the middle of the summer, considering the alternative.
It's rained on me this year once, and kind of drizzled another time this year. Fishing was good and nobody chased us out.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Early release wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:33 am
DarkShadow wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:24 am This is a good question that never comes up, as rain during the Barrett season is rare, but is this venue rain or shine?

It's rained on me this year once, and kind of drizzled another time this year. Fishing was good and nobody chased us out.
I love fishing during downpours as it keeps other people out.

I grew up with the adage that there is no bad weather. Just bad gear.
Tailingloop
Pro Angler

Post by Tailingloop »

Early release wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:33 am

The morning we couldn't take boats out, no one in their right mind would have gone out. Wasn't safe. Staff didn't let anyone leave the dock - not that anyone wanted to try anyway. There were rolling waves with whitecaps being blown off the top on the lake. Beaufort scale 6 to 8. Wind in excess of 30mph. Around noon the wind dropped and people could go out - at least those who waited it out. Decent fishing in the afternoon. This was nearly 20 years ago.

Best online website for wind predictions that I have found is windy.com

There is also an app for phones.

You can pick a spot and get predictions for several days out. The NAM model seems to provide most accurate predictions but is only good for less than 48 hours. If you select the NAM model then the predictions switch to the GFS. Remember these are predictions, not guarantees.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Wow, a beaufort scale of 6 to 8 is a lot, that's gale force winds, no way would I go out in that.
The windy site is a good site, that's a great addition to the tools. If I am closer in time, I also look at data on Aviation Weather, https://www.aviationweather.gov/ and National Weather https://www.weather.gov/

As long as we are suggesting tools that affect our fishing, I have watch duty on my phone, since fires are an important consideration this time of year. There's not a lot of options to getting out of that space if a fire suddenly pops up.
objetty
Angler

Post by objetty »

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I'm adding some good apps and websites to my weather arsenal. I also recently learned of lightning strike apps that will show you what's going on around you, direction it is headed, etc. My Lightning Tracker & Alerts is one that looks promising that I might be giving a try if I do decide the wind will cooperate enough early on in the day to merit giving it a go.

My biggest hope is that the storm will slow down or stall for 8-12 hours so the worst part of it hits later in the day or at night.

I'm keeping my eye on it carefully. Everyone be safe.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Real possibility the gate will be closed Sunday morning. Stream crossing may be impassable in the morning and even more likely in the afternoon.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurrican ... na/1570250

Other than risk of high winds, lightning, flash floods, impassable stream crossing and a washed out road, I don't see a reason not to go. Possibly the forecast will improve but now it looks grim. Hard to do a really accurate forecast for the mountain areas too, there is a chance you luck out. Or not.

From a famous philosopher:

Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, "Would an idiot do that?" And if they would, I do not do that thing.

Dwight
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

There's one other thing, there's a fire around three miles from the Hauser corner of the lake that's gone from 5 acres at 1200 to 400 acres at 1900. https://share.watchduty.org/i/10723

Be safe out there, it's just fishing.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Early release wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:35 pm There's one other thing, there's a fire around three miles from the Hauser corner of the lake that's gone from 5 acres at 1200 to 400 acres at 1900. https://share.watchduty.org/i/10723

Be safe out there, it's just fishing.
Saw that smoke today and knew it was near Barrett. Thx!
objetty
Angler

Post by objetty »

Wind, Rain, Lightning, Flood, Fire

Tell me the universe is warning me about something without telling me the universe is warning me about something.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

objetty wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:25 am Wind, Rain, Lightning, Flood, Fire

Tell me the universe is warning me about something without telling me the universe is warning me about something.
I think it's saying we should fish with frogs? ahahaha.
monstahfish
Angler

Post by monstahfish »

Looks like gusts by noon will be over 20kt on sunday. The saturday crew will probably have epic fishing if there's a prefrontal barometric change when they're out there. I'd come but my kayak hauler is down for the count.
objetty
Angler

Post by objetty »

Forecast for the bigbarometric pressure change shows it happening early to mid-day Sunday unfortunately.