Barrett report August 12th

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Early release
Extreme Angler

Barrett report August 12th

Post by Early release »

Hi,

Quick report for today. Arrived later in the morning, 0700, met my buddy Jim and pedaled over to Hauser. Air temp was mid 70s F I think, water temp was 77F. Jim held a seminar on fishing offshore structure with a jig and boated 7 fish before I even got started. I pedaled around and picked up 1 fish on a popper in Becky's cove. We both moved in an easterly direction to get to the back sections of Hauser, over that time, I picked up a few more popper fish and a few jerkbait fish. Jim kept chasing the bass and I decided to go into the bluegill section of the lake and play around with bluegills. They were a little tougher today and I only got three good ones and a bunch of smaller, should I say, normal size bluegills and not the typical 3/4 pound beauties that Barrett provides. Around then is the time when they usually are busting if they are going to bust, but there was a lot of wind. Didn't see a lot of busters at all. So I played about until 1130, chasing where I thought they'd be and cheating a little with the new toy, a panoptix live scope. I probed around with a mid depth crankbait and my favorite jerkbait. Finally I got a decent one and then I had an angry follow. Three bass ( decent size) all chasing and positioning around my jerkbait. They couldn't seem to hit it though. When I reeled it in I saw the lip had broken and it was doing some craziness in the water. Tied on a new one and that's when I found myself in an area they were busting. It was pretty non-stop for the next hour or so and I managed 23 bass for the day. Also saw a fish come down out of a jump onto my stickbait. That was a first. Water never got above 79 degrees.
The usual selfie with a decent fish
The usual selfie with a decent fish
Panoptix in the background showing this guy has some friends available.
Panoptix in the background showing this guy has some friends available.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Barrett report August 12th

Post by JWall »

In the market for a new FF and will give the Panoptix a good look. Thanks for your report. Going next Saturday!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

JWall wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:21 pm In the market for a new FF and will give the Panoptix a good look. Thanks for your report. Going next Saturday!
See you Saturday. I'm really happy with the Panoptix/livescope. The hardest part of the install was milling my transducer bracket to allow it to invert, so my transducer stays above the bottom of the boat. I also installed a separate power switch for the panoptix, so when I am not using it, it doesn't draw power. That unit draws between 2 and 5 amps while running. I only have 20AH of batteries in the kayak. Look around for sales, I got the panoptix for $999 and I think the 93SV UHD was $599, but they aren't stocking it at a lot of places, so maybe it's going to be discontinued?
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

On my end, Today was an experimental one where I tried to get into a larger grade of fish. I started off strong with 7 fish on the jig out of 20 feet of water, got 3 more on flylined 6 inch Tiki Shad’s,(Similar to Yamamoto Shad Worms) they sink enticingly and fast on a 4/0 EWG heavy flipping hook, I fish them like a jig tossing them on the outside edges of the tree line, line watching on the fall then a “ Dying Baitfish” up and down retrieve. I threw the 8 inch Glide Bait a lot for no takes. Made a fateful decision as the wind came up. I went back to where I got the Jig Fish instead of following the Lake Pro (Early Release) while he was hammering the busting Bass, I picked up one in the middle of the lake heading to my spot on an Underspin, then dumped a nice Jig fish that was hooked by a thread, I missed thumbing him twice before he jumped next to the yak and sat there staring at me before swimming off. My very own Early Release. So I only landed 11. We got off the water and had a great late lunch in Jamul with Dave before my Drive back to Orange County. Great day at any other Lake. Quite the adventure.
Attachments
IMG_1854.jpeg
IMG_1851.jpeg
IMG_1852.jpeg
IMG_1853.jpeg
IMG_1855.jpeg