The BFs "Craze"

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

The BFs "Craze"

Post by DarkShadow »

Saw in iCast that many brands are releasing "BFS" gear. See a bunch of guys using 5 - 7 pound FC. I remember back in the day, guys super tuning old Abu Garcia Ambassadors, to use with light ine.

I dunno about you guys, but I grew up fishing LA city ponds, which equates to very pressured fish. When we did hit up bigger lakes, it was Castaic, Pyramid, Piru. Equally pressured fish.

Finesse fishing is how I grew up fishing. So watching all these 'small' baits making a splash on the scene as of late, makes me go back to the days I grew up bass fishing. Used to follow Iovino and saw what he was doing with his doodlin' techniques. Aaron Martens back in the day was finessing his way to victories out in our reservoirs and perfecting that drop shot game. 3 inch hand poured worms were a staple in every angler's tackle box..

It's a good thing I still have dozens of these now dubbed "BFS" baits that I collected throughout the years that I never really stopped using.

And the craze is right. Down sizing really gets you more bites. But nobody is mentioning how this style of fishing has been a mainstay out West for a while now.

What are some of your favorites? These always seem to be packed during any bass fishing I do, regardless of where I'm at, or what time of year it is:

CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: The BFs "Craze"

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

I spy a PopX and a DogX Junior. Excellent choices! Ito-San and Megabass just know how to make baits that catch.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:52 pm I spy a PopX and a DogX Junior. Excellent choices! Ito-San and Megabass just know how to make baits that catch.
When i saw MB's new BFS offerings that they unveiled at iCast, a lot of those baits looked familiar! :D

Their marketing strategy with their new line of BFS baits is pretty smart. You're not spending a dime on creating anything new, but simply slapping the "BFS" sticker on the packaging and name of the baits and riding the wave that was created in Japan, and making them available at your local tackle store.

I wonder if any other JDM company is going to make this push and strike while the iron is hot.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

I can remember drooling over the Shimano Bantam back in the 80's. I had the ABU/Garcia 5000, which was great and I still have it, but I had to use spinning gear for lighter line. I prefer the lighter line and the smaller baits, even though I have been casting a Megabass 135I wing, for test purposes.

Your favorites are well represented in my tackle box also, but I am a total fan of #5, #7 and #9 silver floating Rapala. It's almost always the first lure I cast.Check my avatar and you'll see, I get all sizes on that lure.
Everydog
Extreme Angler

Post by Everydog »

The extra benefit with the small spinnerbait and cranks, Catching big-ass crappie.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Everydog wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:52 pm The extra benefit with the small spinnerbait and cranks, Catching big-ass crappie.
These guys ate a tiny little underspin (which has also caught bass for me around Shad spawn time)
CDD5441B-96D5-403B-B2F4-731A1D7326C0.jpeg
2382E85C-3F95-421C-9E1F-5EEFECCC7302.jpeg
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

DarkShadow wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:39 pm
CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:52 pm I spy a PopX and a DogX Junior. Excellent choices! Ito-San and Megabass just know how to make baits that catch.
When i saw MB's new BFS offerings that they unveiled at iCast, a lot of those baits looked familiar! :D

Their marketing strategy with their new line of BFS baits is pretty smart. You're not spending a dime on creating anything new, but simply slapping the "BFS" sticker on the packaging and name of the baits and riding the wave that was created in Japan, and making them available at your local tackle store.

I wonder if any other JDM company is going to make this push and strike while the iron is hot.
Lucky Craft has some pretty good offerings. Tiny little
Squarebills and jerkbaits, etc.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Walmart usually has a selection of smaller lures in crappie or trout size. Arkie Crappie Cranks are a closer match to most shad in size than the bass sized crankbaits. Being Walmart, the price is right too. So you can claim you are a BFS fisherman rather than just a cheapskate.

Spinning gear is still better than BFS in my opinion for light crankbaits though.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Gotfish? wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:52 amSpinning gear is still better than BFS in my opinion for light crankbaits though.
I tend to agree.

But then I had a chance to cast both a Conquest 50 BFS and an Aldebaran BFS and these guys are really engineering reels to throw light baits.

30 years ago, I'd have the same mindset and it would be cumbersome trying to throw 1/8 ounce baits on a baitcaster. But when you can fling 1/32 ounce baits well on these new fangled baitcasters?

I haven't justified purchasing one yet, because I don't want my spinning rod collecting dust. But man, these new BFS reels handle light baits like champs.
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

Ok, have to admit, did not know what BFS stood for. A little search and for those others not 'in the loop', here's the break down. Interesting.

(I hate downsizing, so I'll hold off for a while. Guess if I fished tournaments, I'd have to get into it).

https://www.fishusa.com/learn/bfs-fishi ... sse-system

PS If I''d of titled the system, it'd of been FBS.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

DarkShadow wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:21 am
Gotfish? wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:52 amSpinning gear is still better than BFS in my opinion for light crankbaits though.
I tend to agree.

But then I had a chance to cast both a Conquest 50 BFS and an Aldebaran BFS and these guys are really engineering reels to throw light baits.

30 years ago, I'd have the same mindset and it would be cumbersome trying to throw 1/8 ounce baits on a baitcaster. But when you can fling 1/32 ounce baits well on these new fangled baitcasters?

I haven't justified purchasing one yet, because I don't want my spinning rod collecting dust. But man, these new BFS reels handle light baits like champs.
I have a Shimano BFS Curado reel and an Old18 BFS Suppressor rod. Nice for Ned rigs, weightless finesse worms or even drop shot rigs. For casting ultra light lures longer distances, I would still stick with spinning though.

But lately, I have been liking my Daiwa TW Tatula 70 reel a lot, it casts light lures too and the TW system is almost backlash proof. Would definitely trade the Curado BFS for another Tatula 70.
La Mesan
Angler

Post by La Mesan »

1/32??? I can't even imagine casting anything less than 1/8.

When you cast such light baits which is more important for getting the furthest cast possible, the reel or the rod? Spinning & baitcaster gear
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

La Mesan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:42 pm1/32??? I can't even imagine casting anything less than 1/8.
I"m still in that boat where I will run to a spinning reel when casting stuff this light.

But, stream fishing for Japanese trout with baitcasters has been a thing for a while, so there are quite a few baitcasters that are quite capable. It's pretty crazy.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

La Mesan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:42 pm 1/32??? I can't even imagine casting anything less than 1/8.

When you cast such light baits which is more important for getting the furthest cast possible, the reel or the rod? Spinning & baitcaster gear
IMO the reel. You want a lighter, shallower spool with less startup inertia to sling those light baits on casting gear.

The Curado BFS is like BFS+, that reel won’t throw down to 1/32 but it will throw lighter than a standard Curado for sure.

If you’re a Shimano guy, Conquest BFS is the cream of the crop and Aldebaran BFS is also a good choice.

If you’re a Daiwa guy, Steez Air, Alphas Air and Silver Creek are all killer options.
858NOVICE
Angler

Post by 858NOVICE »

I'm a Shimano guy and my go to bait caster for this situation is the SLX MGL 70. With the light baits its a all around good reel. And did I fail to mention the price $
"There is no substitute for time on the water"
Just_Bass
Pro Angler

Post by Just_Bass »

BFS for bass doesn’t have to be 1/32oz or even 1/16oz lures. Any lure in 1-2” range with 1/8oz weight should be able to control more efficiently. With that said I’d rather catching a bass with 3/8jig than lucky craft SP 50 all day long. BFS is very effective in small communities pond with high pressure but bigger lakes with a little bit of cover like brushes, trees, rocks, docks and average 4-5lb bass handle one might be cumbersome.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Just_Bass wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:51 am BFS for bass doesn’t have to be 1/32oz or even 1/16oz lures. Any lure in 1-2” range with 1/8oz weight should be able to control more efficiently. With that said I’d rather catching a bass with 3/8jig than lucky craft SP 50 all day long. BFS is very effective in small communities pond with high pressure but bigger lakes with a little bit of cover like brushes, trees, rocks, docks and average 4-5lb bass handle one might be cumbersome.
I know a few BFSers that have gone balls to the wall and that's ALL they throw. That's like a golfer falling in love with their sand wedge and using it to drive and putt as well.

It's definitely productive, but it's not a substitute for everything.

I think a lot of people are really attracted to it because you get bit more often.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

I have officially entered the BFS craze. Will say - I caught around 40 bass all 10-11” (but quite girthy) on a little Megabass X-80Jr today and it was absolutely a blast. I am definitely hooked on the BFS thing now. Even little clones are a really fun fight.
Attachments
4F57E98A-CEBE-48BB-886E-454D9D71CB85.jpeg
7CC3DC64-4F76-4D6C-B3D8-F4070743BDF4.jpeg
DEA196E1-A4EB-4F50-8E2B-F2E9C2C6B6A9.jpeg
Last edited by CorsoEnthusiast on Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Some of my fave downsized baits.
Attachments
AA1FC707-CA0B-4F58-8DDA-798611BEAE31.jpeg
Just_Bass
Pro Angler

Post by Just_Bass »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:12 am Some of my fave downsized baits.
Nice collection there, my friend.
To my little experience of those BSF, once the weight of lure fall into 1/4oz or more regular finesse reel pair with ML or Light BFS rods would give more accurate and better distance another benefit is better control on the fish and less chance of damage your equipment as long as using proper line diameter. 6lb Copolymer or 6-8lb FC or 10lb braid preferred.
Those alphas stream custom is very nice and capable of super light weight lure but line capacity is questionable especially those with nylon line. I have seen a lot of ppl switch to long cast spool and it is become totally different animal still very capable of 1/8 lure but more line capacity and more line choice. Just my humble observation.