8/9- Miramar again

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

8/9- Miramar again

Post by VinnyBass »

With anticipation of hopefully more topwater action, I headed back up to Lake Miramar this morning with 3 rods rigged with
topwater baits and one with a small jerk bait. The surface was pretty glassy when I arrived. Finally a few small bass stirring the top of the
water. Everyone knows that by the time you get over close enough to reach them with a cast, they stop breaking. Then of course you go to one side of the lake and look behind you and they are stirring up the water right where you left. I caught a small bass on a jerk bait, but still stubbornly kept
alternating topwater baits by tossing a Sammy, a GunFish and a couple new IMA Baby Stik 105 Walking Baits I recently purchased. It was fun chatting with a few of the guys out on the water to compare notes and it seemed that the guys I talked to were not having much luck either on the surface. The fish were pretty much up and down quickly so I started going with reaction baits below the surface and started picking up a number of small bass. Each time hoping it was bigger than the last one...ha ha. At least the small bass were cooperating as I had landed 8 of them. Before I left, I had not worm fished up to this point, so I drifted over towards the far fishing float and decided to just toss a senko for a bit. Of course I landed my biggest bass(not big by any means, but compared to the others...well..). It had a big head but a skinny body. Make me think that instead of cruising around in my kayak all over the middle of the lake all morning, I probably should have just worm fished after the first hour...ha ha

A few pics...
You can see that the bass were pretty small.
IMG_7256.PNG
IMG_7257.PNG
IMG_7258.PNG
IMG_7259.PNG

Ah.... the big head /Jenny Craig senko bass
IMG_7254.PNG

And of course.......the "Dink of Day"
IMG_7260.PNG
(I know @McFish likes small bass)
<º)))><.. <º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><........
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Re: 8/9- Miramar again

Post by Fisheromen »

Couple nice ones,VB! shoulda- woulda-coulda is the game we play!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

I think it was great you stuck with your plan and didn't go to finesse until the end. This year I have been forcing myself to use other lures and it's really paid off for me with poppers and stickbaits. I very much prefer the topwater bite, and I think I'm not alone there. :) Yesterday the topwater bite was on where I was, and I had one bass, a smaller one, go after my stick bait about 5 times before he got it. He finally got it when I saw he was smaller, so I reeled fast to get it away from him, so I could cast in the boils that were coming up. Turns out, I might remember him the best.
I have to make it out to Miramar, you really have convinced me it's a lot of fun.
Tight lines,

ER
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Early release wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:29 am I think it was great you stuck with your plan and didn't go to finesse until the end. This year I have been forcing myself to use other lures and it's really paid off for me with poppers and stickbaits. I very much prefer the topwater bite, and I think I'm not alone there. :) Yesterday the topwater bite was on where I was, and I had one bass, a smaller one, go after my stick bait about 5 times before he got it. He finally got it when I saw he was smaller, so I reeled fast to get it away from him, so I could cast in the boils that were coming up. Turns out, I might remember him the best.
I have to make it out to Miramar, you really have convinced me it's a lot of fun.
Tight lines,

ER
I have a tenancy often to keep changing baits, patterns and not stick to anything too long. I caught some on topwater my last trip so I really wanted to try to make it happen again. Yeah, I could have just fished worms the whole morning and probably have some nice results, but there is something about catching bass on the surface or near the surface that is really exciting. Watching the water explode on a topwater bait or the bass hitting a reaction bait just below the surface and coming out of the water is the type of fishing action I enjoy the most. Kind of bummed that Murray is not going off right now as it normally is this time of year....but picking up a few here and there is better than none at all. Heck...now I want to go fishing...ha ha
Glad you enjoy the topwater bite too and tight lines. :-)
<º)))><.. <º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><........
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

You need to stop catching my pygmy dropshot bass..I've got to keep my numbers up!