Barrett report Sunday 7/30

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Shawnster
Pro Angler

Barrett report Sunday 7/30

Post by Shawnster »

I’ve been stalking these forums for a while now, waiting for our chance to get on the lake. First time at Barrett was a Sunday, and it did not disappoint! What a beautiful gem of a lake it is, and such good fishing opportunities. We are beginner bass fishermen — two dads, and two boys 7 and 9 years old.

We landed two nice bass and a big bluegill, with 4 other fish on but not landed and more strikes than we’ve ever experienced. My 7 year old son caught his first bass ever — from lure selection, setting the hook, all the way to the boat. Proud moment! The bass we landed were on a eggplant 4” Senco, and a purple/white roboworm on a Texas rig. The bluegill hit a white/gold spinnerbait.

We were on the water at 4:30. We didn’t know you had to reserve motor boats, so they gave us a rowboat and told us to check back in later. Thanks to the dudes who came by to check on us (because we were rowing). First bass was at pigs at daybreak. Bluegill a short time later at those big rocks near desolation point. Rowed back to the dock around 8 and took a motor boat out.

Motor boat was sooo much better than rowing!! Enjoyment was short lived though as the motor stopped working when we were on our way to Hauser (never made it all the way to Hauser — probably a good thing bc we had to row back). I’m feeling it today — especially because the wind would come up and blow us way off course.

We saw the bass schooling in the middle and basically going on feeding frenzies. But by the time we rowed to them of course they were gone.

We were on the water for 12 hours! Compared to our bass fishing tally in the past year we had an epic day of catching fish. Compared with the gentlemen who landed 65 fish on the same day, we know we can do much better (didn’t get your name but good chatting with you and thanks for the tips btw!).

Two things that will help us immensely are a working boat and a trolling motor. I want to get a trolling motor before we head back up Wednesday — does anyone have any recommendations on what kind/specs for trolling motors that are good for Barrett and that size boat? Not looking to spend a ton of course. Maybe someone has one for sale? My primary interest is reducing the need for those damn anchors (and maybe a little more muscle should we find the need to row again).

Thanks for all the contributions to this forum… it’s been immensely helpful!!
IMG_1458.jpeg
IMG_1464.jpeg
IMG_1461.jpeg
IMG_1473.jpeg
IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1455.jpeg
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Barrett report Sunday 7/30

Post by JWall »

Those smiles tell the tale, great start for the boys. I bought the basic 30lb thrust MinnKota Endura transom mount for about $120 at BassPro. You can place it to the side of the big motor or mount it up front on either side of the front platform with a small board to give the bracket a flat surface to grab. It will make a world of difference bumping around a hot area or rescuing lures. Its even rescued us a couple of times when the big motor has failed. I see other guys out there with more sophisticated setups in the front but mine works great for my 3-4 yearly trips. You will also get plenty of use out of that motor slapping it on row boats at smaller lakes. Get yourself a 12v rechargeable battery, a charger, and you are in business.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

And if you can find that motor local, like at a Walmart or West Marine maybe, I ended up with an extra battery I could part with at a big discount. Its still in the box, never used.
Shawnster
Pro Angler

Post by Shawnster »

JWall wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:31 pm And if you can find that motor local, like at a Walmart or West Marine maybe, I ended up with an extra battery I could part with at a big discount. Its still in the box, never used.
Thanks for the response Jwall! That looks like a great option and the price point is perfect. Do you happen to know what shaft length is best for the Barrett boats? (And yes — I would be glad to buy your battery if you’re getting rid of it. Do you usually roll with just one or do you carry a spare? Sorry — all new to me). ~Shawn
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Shawnster wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:21 pm
JWall wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:31 pm And if you can find that motor local, like at a Walmart or West Marine maybe, I ended up with an extra battery I could part with at a big discount. Its still in the box, never used.
Thanks for the response Jwall! That looks like a great option and the price point is perfect. Do you happen to know what shaft length is best for the Barrett boats? (And yes — I would be glad to buy your battery if you’re getting rid of it. Do you usually roll with just one or do you carry a spare? Sorry — all new to me). ~Shawn
Mine is the 30 inch. It might pop out of the water a time or two if its not set at its longest, but nothing bad. I try to find a length that keeps me from bending over too far when standing. On the battery, the first one came with slightly damaged terminals but I was able to fix. When I complained they sent a second battery and told me to keep both. I guess me shipping back a 30lb battery wasn’t worth their trouble. Anyway I’ve never used the replacement. I did think about bringing both, and did the first time out to Barrett just in case. But I have never drained it entirely and we have used it for hours. Last trip we trolled around chasing boilers and then trolled lures all the way from the back of Hauser to the dock and it made it ok. I suppose you could drain one in a full day but I would just use the big motor for longer moves and save the troll motor for bumping and short moves. It is the Mighty Max ML50-12v thats on Amazon for $110. I’d take $50 for mine and we can link up offline if you want to go that route.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Batte ... 3471&psc=1
Shawnster
Pro Angler

Post by Shawnster »

JWall wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:13 pm
Shawnster wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:21 pm
Mine is the 30 inch. It might pop out of the water a time or two if its not set at its longest, but nothing bad. I try to find a length that keeps me from bending over too far when standing. On the battery, the first one came with slightly damaged terminals but I was able to fix. When I complained they sent a second battery and told me to keep both. I guess me shipping back a 30lb battery wasn’t worth their trouble. Anyway I’ve never used the replacement. I did think about bringing both, and did the first time out to Barrett just in case. But I have never drained it entirely and we have used it for hours. Last trip we trolled around chasing boilers and then trolled lures all the way from the back of Hauser to the dock and it made it ok. I suppose you could drain one in a full day but I would just use the big motor for longer moves and save the troll motor for bumping and short moves. It is the Mighty Max ML50-12v thats on Amazon for $110. I’d take $50 for mine and we can link up offline if you want to go that route.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Batte ... 3471&psc=1
Sounds awesome JWall! I'll PM you. Thanks!