Most fun and unusual baits for bass

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Big C
Pro Angler

Most fun and unusual baits for bass

Post by Big C »

Although I haven’t been fishing in over a month and probably won’t go for another month I thought I would put this out there. For me it has been fun to get them on the rat, the mudbug (crawdad) and the Black Cockatoo! What are some of your unusual baits?
Attachments
IMG_9941.jpeg
IMG_3065.jpeg
IMG_2893.jpeg
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Re: Most fun and unusual baits for bass

Post by VinnyBass »

Crawbaits and rats are kind of normal and you know you bought that crazy Cockatoo bait just for Minnesota...ha ha.
Actually I tried to think of some strange baits or usual baits I have used to catch bass and when I first used a Tokyo rig, it looked strange and never thought it would work until my first bass I caught on it was 4 1/2lbs. I am a definitely a believer in the Tokyo Rig now after many bass have found them tasty….even though I get a lot of ribbing from McFish about using them.
Attachments
Toyko Rig.png
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Rat for sure. The unusual lure that comes to mind is the deps sonar. It’s a swim bait that’s jointed but the rubber skin around it makes the joint less flexible and the tying point is dead center on the side. It literally moves like a forward scanning sonar. I’ve caught a quite a few fish on it but it got donated and I’ve never replaced it.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

Yep, haven't caught fish on all of those!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Two weeks ago I was at Barrett and saw a dead rabbit in the water. I realized why the big rat lures work right there.

But for me, consistently this crazy crawler is the strangest thing I use ( and variants ) and every week I get some fish to claim it.
thumbnail_IMG_9709.jpg
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

My wife caught one just over 4 before Loveland was destroyed and it spit up a biiig pack rat on the last jump.

I also saw a juvenile duck big enough to be on its own get pulled down at otay. It was “screaming” doing everything it could to get away. Fish finally let it go and it went to shore. I watched it for a long time and it never went back into the water.

If it moves, bass will try and eat it
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

The pompadour has worked great. I have a couple small snakes that I've yet to catch a fish with but I haven’t used them that much yet. Soooo many lures and so little time (only eight hours per trip twice a week). 😎

Besides, the Buzzbait and the boottail fluke, and the popper are working so well right now, oh, and the spook. Hard to put those down.
Attachments
IMG_1163.jpeg
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

The Megabass I wing135 is great. Last trip to Barrett a 4lb broke the wings!
Attachments
IMG_3706.jpeg
IMG_3735.jpeg
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Okay, so how come no one makes a ringneck snake lure?

These little beauties are natural forage for fish.
150919 ringneck on knee.jpg
Don't believe me? Where do you think I got that one?
150919 ringneck in mouth cu.jpg
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Big C
Pro Angler

Post by Big C »

Wow! My buddy gets them on the 8 inch Savage Gear green snake 🐍 on our Minnesota fishing trips.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

So, way way back when I was still wet behind the ears and the Snagg Proof Frogs were not a thing, I used these fishing with my Grandfather;
Description is written below the photos.

Cool Snake photo! They make a snake topwater.
Attachments
This is a Tom Mann's Frog. I would add a scampy to the stinger Hook for a larger profile and weight.
This is a Tom Mann's Frog. I would add a scampy to the stinger Hook for a larger profile and weight.
Heddon Moss Boss
Heddon Moss Boss
Shawnster
Pro Angler

Post by Shawnster »

Early release wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:24 pm Two weeks ago I was at Barrett and saw a dead rabbit in the water. I realized why the big rat lures work right there.

But for me, consistently this crazy crawler is the strangest thing I use ( and variants ) and every week I get some fish to claim it.

thumbnail_IMG_9709.jpg
I’ve tried using that exact pattern of crazy crawler a few times with no luck. Do you mind me asking what your retrieve technique is? I throw it, let it sit, 2 or 3 reels in and repeat. No luck!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Shawnster wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:16 pm
Early release wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:24 pm Two weeks ago I was at Barrett and saw a dead rabbit in the water. I realized why the big rat lures work right there.

thumbnail_IMG_9709.jpg
I’ve tried using that exact pattern of crazy crawler a few times with no luck. Do you mind me asking what your retrieve technique is? I throw it, let it sit, 2 or 3 reels in and repeat. No luck!
I do two things, first I cast it as far as I can and as close to brush as possible and let it sit for 5-10 seconds. Then I drag it about 2 feet with the rod tip. That usually gets some reaction. The other thing is to just swim it along parallel to shore or brush.
Shawnster
Pro Angler

Post by Shawnster »

I’ll be trying that out for sure! Thanks for the tips!
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

My Favorite Topwater for years was a RedWing BlackBird Lure. Throw it next to a flooded tree and shake it. Hold on! Unfortunately I can no longer find them.it was made of Balsa Wood with real feathers.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

The old Bomber Hellbender lure! I never figured out what it was supposed to look like ...but the fish loved it!
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

VinnyBass wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:02 pm Crawbaits and rats are kind of normal and you know you bought that crazy Cockatoo bait just for Minnesota...ha ha.
Actually I tried to think of some strange baits or usual baits I have used to catch bass and when I first used a Tokyo rig, it looked strange and never thought it would work until my first bass I caught on it was 4 1/2lbs. I am a definitely a believer in the Tokyo Rig now after many bass have found them tasty….even though I get a lot of ribbing from McFish about using them.
And how are those Tokyo rigs working for you this year???? Lolololol...
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:06 am
VinnyBass wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:02 pm Crawbaits and rats are kind of normal and you know you bought that crazy Cockatoo bait just for Minnesota...ha ha.
That’s not funny, but when that water gets back up high at Murray, I’ll be working those tulles.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:00 pm
That’s not funny, but when that water gets back up high at Murray, I’ll be working those tulles.
Can't wait for you to pull another 6lber out of those deepwater tulles!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:00 pm
VinnyBass wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:00 pm
Can't wait for you to pull another 6lber out of those deepwater tulles!
Don't hold your breath as this year so far has been really tough for bigger fish(of course the up and down and up and down water levels
at Murray didn't help),. My biggest so far this year is 4.25lbs. I caught 2 others just barely over 4. I will be working the tulles
soon....and hopefully something bigger may surprise me. For now...it is just fish and have fun....a lot better than working. :-)