Padres/Pitch Clock/Affecting batters?

Discussions not related to fishing.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Re: Padres/Pitch Clock/Affecting batters?

Post by VinnyBass »

Yeah I am used to the pitch clock now and agree about the two disengagement rule. Geez..why do they keep having to mess with things?
On another note I found that by looking at this illustration, I no longer need to keep watching the Padres if they are trailing after the 6th inning, go to extra innings or if the other team scores first. Even if the game is real close like we are only behind by one...I can flip to another channel and catch up on some funny sitcom or re-run to try to take my mind off the game because lately is has been very painful watching the full Padre game.....ha ha
Photo provided by angry Padre fan in Ramona.JPG
<º)))><.. <º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><........
HookEmDanO
Pro Angler

Post by HookEmDanO »

meanwhile, a Yankee just threw a perfect game

the padres simply have trouble scoring runs
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Carpkiller wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:01 pmAnd what the heck is up with the oven mitts? Guys are wearing mitts bigger than a hockey goalie wears on his stick hand.
I think it's threefold

1. Major League Baseball rules don't disallow it.
2. It protects your hand from inadvertent injury. (Getting stepped on with metal cleats isn't fun, take it from me)
3. It doesn't make you any slower.

Kinda like all the guys wearing all the armor at the plate. There are no rules that disallow it, so players will take advantage, especially those that love crowding the plate, or are dead pull hitters and foul the ball off their front foot/leg all the time.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

A little off the post topic......Being an armchair observer but is it just me that every time Juan Soto gets up to the plate he looks like he is just interested in getting a walk? I mean he is a good player and all and getting on base is fine, but I just associate him with trying to get walked and never really expect a hit. Let the angry comments begin if I am wrong...ha ha. Anyway GO PADRES! Hope the second half of the season is better. :-)
Stringbean
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

VinnyBass wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:27 pm A little off the post topic......Being an armchair observer but is it just me that every time Juan Soto gets up to the plate he looks like he is just interested in getting a walk? I mean he is a good player and all and getting on base is fine, but I just associate him with trying to get walked and never really expect a hit. Let the angry comments begin if I am wrong...ha ha. Anyway GO PADRES! Hope the second half of the season is better. :-)
Vinny,
Its Juan Soto, as of the allstar break he was 81 and 81 hits verus walks for on base percentage .
So he does walk alot, he probably doesnt get pitches down the middle much. And there for he doesnt chase bad pitches.
Put’em in the cooler!!!!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

I like Soto, I just find it funny that when he gets up I figure he will get on with a walk. Walks are great as long as someone can drive them in with a hit. Saw far too many times in the first part of this season that we had 2 guys on or bases loaded and could not get a hit. The Padres have some good pitching and just hope the Padre bats come out swinging in the second half as they are exciting to watch, especially when they are hitting and scoring runs.
Stringbean
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

Tonight starts the second half.
If the middle relief steps up, we have a lot of talent.
My hat is off to the ownership , I've watch some terible teams from 1969 on, petco park has brought the team to life.
There's a new vibe, and excitement in the air.

Enjoy
Put’em in the cooler!!!!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Stringbean wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:13 am Tonight starts the second half.
My hat is off to the ownership , I've watch some terible teams from 1969 on, petco park has brought the team to life.

Enjoy
The bats came alive(4 hr's)tonight and great to see Soto blast a 2 run homer. :-)
IMG_6641.jpg
Stringbean
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

VinnyBass wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:06 pm
My hat is off to the ownership , I've watched some terible teams from 1969 on, petco park has brought the team to life.

Enjoy
The bats came alive(4 hr's)tonight and great to see Soto blast a 2 run homer. :-)
IMG_6641.jpg
Put’em in the cooler!!!!
Rude Baits
Angler

Post by Rude Baits »

Enjoy

That has been one saving grace for this season, the vibe at Petco is electric. With the record setting sellouts, the Compadre Faithful is doing their part. Now it's up to this squad to get things turned around to make a run at the post season.
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

Sorry @VinnyBass but I really like Juan Soto, if you saw movie Money Ball with Brad Pitt he would be the first player they go after. Walks adds to pitchers pitch count which everyone cares about. I think Mike Trout sucks this year because he isn't looking for walks like he use too
Rude Baits
Angler

Post by Rude Baits »

foulhook wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:02 pm Sorry @VinnyBass but I really like Juan Soto, if you saw movie Money Ball with Brad Pitt he would be the first player they go after. Walks adds to pitchers pitch count which everyone cares about. I think Mike Trout sucks this year because he isn't looking for walks like he use too

Yup. Soto is a menace in the batters box and is leading the lead in Base On Balls by a wide margin.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

foulhook wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:02 pm Sorry @VinnyBass but I really like Juan Soto, if you saw movie Money Ball with Brad Pitt he would be the first player they go after. Walks adds to pitchers pitch count which everyone cares about. I think Mike Trout sucks this year because he isn't looking for walks like he use too
It’s funny, but it wasn’t like I don’t like him it just was just the fact that every time he got up I started thinking here we go again…another walk. I agree a walk is better than an out but during the first part of the season, how many times did you see Padre runners on base and nobody could drive them in. He is a good hitter and in the heart of the lineup, and I guess I always look forward to a hit rather than a walk. Anyway the team is starting to hit better the second half and Soto has been hitting the ball well also. It would be nice if the team got hot, has a great second half and hopefully will go far in the playoffs. It will be so exciting like it was last year.
Go Padres!!!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Last night Soto (does he read sdfish?.. ha ha)hit 2 hrs, 3 RBI’s and walked and we won. Go Padres!!!!
Juan Soto .jpeg
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

Anybody know what the elbow flapping that the players do when they get on base is all about? Seems to be only Padres.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Fisheromen wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:36 pm Anybody know what the elbow flapping that the players do when they get on base is all about? Seems to be only Padres.
Good thing that it doesn't happen often with that team.

LA's gonna go back to having SF as their rival, I guess.