Barrett report July 8

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Early release
Extreme Angler

Barrett report July 8

Post by Early release »

Hi all,

Got on the water at 0420 today. Slight wind making a small chop on the water then. Pedaled over to Hauser and Becky's cove for the first light, which took a while. Whole lot of nothing. Zip. Nada. Of course on my first cast I had a boil that almost pulled my kayak in, so then I was determined to catch whatever could have done that. Needless to say, sometimes determination needs to know when to quit. In my case I played in that area for an hour too long.

Finally moving along and down that coastline, I picked up a few along the way with the popper. No interest in jerkbait, crankbait or jigs. I didn't try finesse. Got back in the back of hauser and things really started to happen. Of course, now that I am a popper convert, I had quite a few takers on the popper. Same method, plop, plop, pause, and something happens on the pause. Here's something I noticed and would like others thoughts. If you move the popper at all ( reeling to remove slack or something) you will not get bit, if you leave it perfectly still, that's when you get bit. Each plop, plop resets this method too.

I tried a new lure today also. I have been casting a headbanger spitfire for the last couple sessions and cannot get any interest. The lure looks amazing (to me), but so far the fish have not been impressed. I untied that today and tied on a Heddon Crazy Crawler. It's a funny lure that makes a lot of movement in the water. It has two wings that make it wobble and look like I don't know what. In any case, this lure produced the angriest strikes I have seen. They seem to sip the popper, this thing they are annoyed by. I attached a picture of a bass in the net with the lure, so you all believe me that it works. Looking at this lure, I know I'd need to see a picture to believe it.
There it is, in the fishes mouth
There it is, in the fishes mouth
Quality of fish was great, most in the 2 pounds range, with a few pleasant upgrades. Score card was 11 poppers, 9 crazy crawlers, 2 crankbaits. One very large and very committed bluegill on the popper too. Water temp ranged from 75 in the early AM to 79 when I left at lunch time. Wind wasn't as bad at 1200 as it has been, maybe 5-10kts and the gusts were a little more. It was calm all morning until 0930 or so. Sky was clear all day and the temp wasn't too bad. Zoom in on the last picture under the tree and you'll see a deer in water. I think that's pretty cool to have an audience when you are fishing.
One of the pleasant upgrades
One of the pleasant upgrades
Zoom in, it's an iphone camera, that's all I got.
Zoom in, it's an iphone camera, that's all I got.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Barrett report July 8

Post by JWall »

Nice one! We may have fished near you in Hauser. Saw deer too. Always cool. On your crawler, many years ago I found a jitterbug that gurgles and wobbles good and I thought it would get them to go for sure. No luck after 10 minutes today so I went back to flukes. Will have to dedicate some time to my poppers next trip. Nothing like topwater!
Jc153fishing
Pro Angler

Post by Jc153fishing »

Nice chunk bro 😎
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

I'm surprised the Jitterbug didn't get a good reaction. I'm surprised the Headbanger also didn't, it just looks so good in the water. I wonder if there's something to the action in the front versus the side or back, because Whopper Plopper and Choppos also work great. I was just so amused with this crawler thing I couldn't put it down and try anything else. What I neglected to do, and should have done is thrown a large Zara Spook type bait. I'll do that next trip. I am trying to have some discipline and trying to use a new lure for a reasonable amount of time each trip. It's harder to do when you are catching them on your favorite lure ( jerkbait, Rapala #7 or #9 for me).
MaxZmus
Pro Angler

Post by MaxZmus »

That first fish looks like a chunk. Did you weigh it?
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

Great work Dave! The crawler bait drives them crazy! The bigger the crawler the BIG fish will come up, the bite is just heart stopping fun!!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

MaxZmus wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:58 pm That first fish looks like a chunk. Did you weigh it?
I did and I had to weigh it a couple times, because I kind of didn't believe it. My scale said 5 pounds 4 ounces. It's very unfisherman of me, but I thought about 4 something max for that fish. He was pretty thick though. I'll calibrate that scale before the next trip.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

619bassin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:58 am Great work Dave! The crawler bait drives them crazy! The bigger the crawler the BIG fish will come up, the bite is just heart stopping fun!!
Chuck, I owe this success to you. It is so much fun to catch them on the crawler. Before long, I'm sure you will see me using the megabass crawler.
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

That's the beauty of Barrett, you can try any bait and most time it works. Glad to show you what works.
Khachafishian
Angler

Post by Khachafishian »

I was stoked to hear about the Bug, had mine for years and have only thrown it couple of times.I was in the water about the same time down Hauser way and crushing big ones, same way double twitch and Bam . Can't wait to get back 🖖🏽. GETT'EN BUGGY WITH IT