Anybody Fishing Afternoons?

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Anybody Fishing Afternoons?

Post by JWall »

The rangers used to chase you off way before the dusk bite gets hot but has anybody been launching in the afternoons and doing good? Seems like most of us here are morning creatures.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Re: Anybody Fishing Afternoons?

Post by VinnyBass »

Thanks for bringing up that question as I often wondered how the afternoon or late bite was. Years ago the bite at El Cap would go off late in the day. From what I remember we would fish until almost dark and often caught more bass between 4:30 until we left. At San V, my buddy and I would make a last top and fish the tip of the island facing the boat dock until that dreaded horn sounded to leave the lake and usually did pretty well. Over the last many years I have been the guy who leaves the lake by 1 or 1:30 at the latest. I only had a couple times at Murray where the fishing was good late in the day, but more often it was not that great so I never fish the late afternoons there even after hearing guys tell me how good it was sometimes.
Anyway...hopefully we will find out what others have experienced in the afternoons and late afternoons.
Tight lines everyone
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Exactly VinnyBass. Years ago when I lived nearby, Hodges was a go to. There wasn’t a great amount of primetime before being chased off, but you could boat a few anyway. Looking forward to any input.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

I’ve definitely had some luck in the afternoons recently at my favorite lake. Wolfpacks cruising the shoreline on the tiny bait that’s plentiful. Also the fry guarders making their rounds. Have had success in spots other than my normal fave too, exploring more of the south end of the lake on foot looking for shade in the afternoon. Some days they want it moving, some days they want it on the bottom, and some days they’ll eat both it seems like.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Also: if you’re on a boat you can get to all the best spots on the lake that shore bangers can’t. I feel like it’d for sure be worth your time.

How fast they chase you off seems to depend on who the ranger is closing up. There’s a lady who will definitely chase everyone off a little early, the dude with the dreads is much more chill - I have driven out of there in darkness when he’s closing before.