Rainbow Bass Fishing Lake Arenal Costa Rica

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Rainbow Bass Fishing Lake Arenal Costa Rica

Post by Pourboy »

[media] Rainbow Bass (Guapote) Fishing: Lake Arenal Costa Rica
[/media]

Pura Vida from Costa Rica!
Hey all I just had an amazing new experience fishing for Rainbow Bass or Guapote on Lake Arenal in Costa Rica. My wife and I decided to vacation in Costa Rica and I was checking out what fishing was available and found out about Rainbow Bass. I’d never heard of them and wanted to fish for them for sure while we were here. We got a guide for a trip on Lake Arenal right next to the Arenal Volcano. They day was calm, hot and humid up in the mountains on this 80+ square kilometer lake. It was only us and one other boat on the whole lake fishing so we were super excited. Our guide let us know that this time of the year we would be vertical jigging and trolling with deep diving cranks for the fish. We ended up catching 3 different species on the lake. The Guapote, mojarra (similar to bluegill) and machaca (related to the piranha not the burrito). The biggest bass went close to 4 lbs and we had the resort we stayed at cook it up for us. We had an amazing time both fishing and at the resort and this area. Definitely worth the trip. Check out the video for more info. Now it’s time to sip my cold one next to the volcano and get ready to travel shortly.

I still have another week of vacation so I’ll be hitting up the San Diego lakes a bunch. See you on the water! Cheers!
galen
Pro Angler

Re: Rainbow Bass Fishing Lake Arenal Costa Rica

Post by galen »

Those rainbow bass look related to tilapia? Some type of cichlid? Cool catches.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Man I missed out on those down there. I heard all about. Too cool
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

galen wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:34 pm Those rainbow bass look related to tilapia? Some type of cichlid? Cool catches.
Yes they are a new world cichlid. Super fun I just wish we got more. I can’t wait to go back.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

camobass wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:19 pm Man I missed out on those down there. I heard all about. Too cool
You’ll have to go back and get them. I want to go back when they’re in the shallows and you can get them on topwater and blades.