Otay

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
inthedeep2
Angler

Otay

Post by inthedeep2 »

Anyone been out to Otay lately? Curious if the water has cleared up at all, thinking about hitting it up tomorrow since El Cap is closed till Saturday. And there is a tournament on Saturday at El Cap.
jjbasser
Angler

Re: Otay

Post by jjbasser »

no
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

Been two weeks since I was there, was an interesting trip. Here's my report from back then...

My God has a sense of humor, here's our latest interaction with Him, see what you think.

Dr John, my friend and current backseat student, and I went fishing at Otay lake yesterday. It ended up being much tougher than I thought it would be. We started at noon and planned to fish till dusk, which we did. Launched my boat (called The Answered Prayer) and proceeded to throw buzzbaits and frogs around lots of flooded dead tulles. Perfect habitat and ambush spots for bass, and I'd been salivating over fishing it since three months back, after first viewing all the millions of floating dead tulles floating all around the lake (not as many now) which was then full pool. Started by Bushlowe cove, and worked to the buoy line. But I only had one blow up on the frog by the second hour. Then we fished for 'bedfish' (bass on 'nests' having babies) for over an hour. We could see them but they would not strike our offerings. John tried to catch one also that way, had heard all about the system of bed fishing from me there. But no luck, nor skill, for either one of us.

Then hour three we ran to Harvey’s arm and worked wonderful looking areas, from the beginning of the arm back towards the end.

Three hours later we were still fishless (now six hours total) and only had one more blowup- on the kicktail fluke (which I was throwing 50% of the time). Working back, I spied someone fishing from a very sparkly boat through the brush, but what was weird, was that the fisherman seemed to be as sparkly as his boat!!! At first I thought it was a fishermen dressed up as Liberace with all the sequins, just soooo strange. As we got closer, mystery solved. It ended up being five or six super large, extra sparkly balloons all tied together resting in the bushes, as tall as a human. I then kidded with John, saying that God must have marked the spot where we'd catch a fish. He laughed and jokingly said that I didn’t see the balloons said “happy birthday Martha” so it couldn't be from God (it didn't say that, we weren't close enough to read anything even if it did) implying it had nothing to do with a fish. I said au contraire good sir, that it was a sign from God, and that it was the Bass’s birthday and it’s name was Martha, and Martha I was going to catch. To make a long story short, which is too late now, I threw my fluke in it's direction and ran it across the surface, very close to the balloons, and lo and behold, "Martha" exploded on it and I got my first, and only, fish of the day.
JohnOlichWballoons6.21.23.JPG
John pointing at the balloons, got the bass casting towards it.

So... my Lord has a sense of humor, as He actually HAD marked the spot we'd catch one, just to show us He could.

Did I mention He has a sense of humor??

PS John wanted to keep a bass, but I didn't know the minimum legal size, as I don't keep them. I measured it, knowing it was either 12" or 15" at the lakes, and it measured 14"! Quick prayer that 12" would be the answer, and did a search, and sure enough, 12" was minimum. Martha went home to be turned into tacos, God rest Martha, and thank U LORD! ;?)

______
PPS Heads up, I've a 14' alum bass boat for sale on this site: viewtopic.php?p=3228#p3228
Last edited by otaymichael on Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ol Dirty Basser
Angler

Post by Ol Dirty Basser »

I fished it yesterday (July 4), first time this year although it's in my neighborhood. It looks like there would be fish everywhere. I got a fluke fish in the first hour. Fished until about 10:30 and only got one other bite flippin' a worm. I'm guessing it was a bed fish because it bit below the hook. Aside from the warm weather I could have sworn it was December, how empty it was and that feeling of having to really really work for a bite.