Calico Bass along the reefs

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Calico Bass along the reefs

Post by blackcloud9 »

Very steady beach fishing in late June. Tallied 30+ calicos, 8 short white seabass to about 22", and 2 legal halibut - all gently released except the halibut. Saw some relative beginners get a legal halibut yesterday from the rocks throwing a swimbait. :D

20230609_195638.jpg

20230616_200953.jpg
Attachments
20230629_184359.jpg
20230617_200534.jpg
20230619_194910.jpg
IMG-0766.jpg
My Kayak Fishing Photos
https://LarryL.com/photos
Zhao
Pro Angler

Re: Calico Bass along the reefs

Post by Zhao »

Hali has been biting indeed. I was fishing LJ the other day and saw a guy landing 4 halis using swimbait. I was using shrimps so no hali for me. Caught 2 calicos though.
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Post by Perch killer »

I'd say you had a great June. Nicely done for sure & congrats.
Dima
Angler

Post by Dima »

That’s a great month of fishing. Do you fish there daily?
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

Dima wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:47 pm That’s a great month of fishing. Do you fish there daily?
Daily but during the right conditions, swells, wind, tides, moon - there are about 10 worthwhile evenings out of each month marked on my calendar. That is 2 five-day runs, coinciding with moon phases but some months have very few fishable days. Best in summer and fall of course.

After 20 years living here end endless casts, the more productive patterns become clear. I spend a lot of time at the SD lakes December through March.

If I'm not surfing, I fish almost every day somewhere. And other stuff
https://cdfwmarine.wordpress.com/2022/0 ... s-program/
My Kayak Fishing Photos
Dima
Angler

Post by Dima »

https://cdfwmarine.wordpress.com/2022/0 ... s-program/

Nice Corvina there! Too bad they could not get it recorded.
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

Dima wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:40 pm Nice Corvina there! Too bad they could not get it recorded.
Well, I'm at fault for not getting the fish officially weighed. But made really good ceviche ;) . There are lots of big ones around right now - note that article was regarding July 4th, 2022. Snorkeling the other day I saw a giant corbina, a school of big spotfin croaker, a school of white seabass along with the usual sargo opaleye zebra-perch and about 9 other species.

Btw, that record-sized fish in the DFW article is a corbina.

It's a different animal than a corvina. You can also catch corvina along the beaches and they resemble white seabass more than anything. Understandably confusing naming for the average fisherman.

One has a small down-oriented mouth and eats mostly sand crabs and worms - corbina, the other is a baitfish predator with teeth - corvina. Good luck out there on your halibut hunt!

Corvina (TOP), Corbina (BOTTOM)
20200717_175149.jpg

Corvina, note the fangs and orange mouth
Big Corvina 080814 007.JPG
My Kayak Fishing Photos
Dima
Angler

Post by Dima »

blackcloud9 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:15 am
Dima wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:40 pm Nice Corvina there! Too bad they could not get it recorded.
Well, I'm at fault for not getting the fish officially weighed. But made really good ceviche ;) . There are lots of big ones around right now - note that article was regarding July 4th, 2022. Snorkeling the other day I saw a giant corbina, a school of big spotfin croaker, a school of white seabass along with the usual sargo opaleye zebra-perch and about 9 other species.

Btw, that record-sized fish in the DFW article is a corbina.

It's a different animal than a corvina. You can also catch corvina along the beaches and they resemble white seabass more than anything. Understandably confusing naming for the average fisherman.

One has a small down-oriented mouth and eats mostly sand crabs and worms - corbina, the other is a baitfish predator with teeth - corvina. Good luck out there on your halibut hunt!

Corvina (TOP), Corbina (BOTTOM)
20200717_175149.jpg

Corvina, note the fangs and orange mouth
Big Corvina 080814 007.JPG
Thanks for the explanation, I had no idea they are two different types of fish.
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

Perch killer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:39 pm I'd say you had a great June. Nicely done for sure & congrats.
Thanks that was my saltwater surf fishing report.

To add to the fun, I actually landed at least twice that many fish in freshwater from my kayak, mostly crappie. Three trips for crappie with limits (25) each day and plenty of bass. I post more over on the Panfish forum viewforum.php?f=7, in case you are into that kind of stuff (perchy things).

Back in May, I set a new San Vicente lake record for redear sunfish, at 4.2 lbs. For my next goal, I'm putting more time into chasing some giant ghosts from my kayak in the kelp beds since I know they are here. They cannot hide! :evil:

20230702_111617.jpg
My Kayak Fishing Photos
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

blackcloud9 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:26 am
Perch killer wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:39 pm I'd say you had a great June. Nicely done for sure & congrats.

To add to the fun, I actually landed at least twice that many fish in freshwater from my kayak, mostly crappie. Three trips for crappie with limits (25) each day and plenty of bass. I post more over on the Panfish forum viewforum.php?f=7, in case you are into that kind of stuff (perchy things).

Back in May, I set a new San Vicente lake record for redear sunfish, at 4.2 lbs. For my next goal, I'm putting more time into chasing some giant ghosts from my kayak in the kelp beds since I know they are here. They cannot hide! :evil:

20230702_111617.jpg
There are some reports of other ghosts (from up north) visiting our local beaches right now.
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

Neuroshima wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:50 am There are some reports of other ghosts (from up north) visiting our local beaches right now.
Yep the stripey ones that prefer rivermouth areas - probably a very good bet on these morning mega low-tides.
My Kayak Fishing Photos
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

X2
YNW_FISHY
Angler

Post by YNW_FISHY »

Nice work Larry beautiful fish
Glency
Angler

Post by Glency »

Zhao wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:40 pm Hali has been biting indeed. I was fishing LJ the other day and saw a guy landing 4 halis using swimbait. I was using shrimps so no hali for me. Caught 2 calicos though.
Yes. I've been fishing for a couple of months. In the last few days (im on staycation) I've caught 4 hali, all small. Cant wait for first legal one. I caught a 24" Spotfin corbina too. =). Love fishing. Tug is the drug.
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Post by Perch killer »

@blackcloud9 Not really into the perch thing, just got that handle from 2 buds since I would somehow always get a perch during those skunk sessions. Crappie looks fun, a cousin gets bunches at Naciemento from his boat. I'm too old to get into the kayak thing or I would. Same for rock hopping jettys & reefs. Focused right now on the open beaches for corbina, croakers & hali's during grunion runs. Been slow to take off, fluctuating water temps not helping. Have a couple of spots scouted out in LJ to give it a shot at the right time. Thanks for your reports, I enjoy them.
Hook1fred
Angler

Post by Hook1fred »

blackcloud9 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:26 am

20230702_111617.jpg

Nice…. love to see more kayak reports from you