Barrett report July 1

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Early release
Extreme Angler

Barrett report July 1

Post by Early release »

Well, Barrett of old is back as far as I am concerned. Chuck got 50 fish on Wednesday and yesterday I pulled in 40, 2 giant bluegills and lost more than I care to count. Water temp was 72-74 in the beginning of the day, warmest I saw was 79 in the shallow bays, by 1130. I also talked to a couple guys who were all in the 30 counts. It's funny, two of them basically said they did ok, or something non-committal like that, and then said about 30 fish. Imagine catching 30 fish at Dixon Lake or some of the others in San Diego. You'd tell everyone.

Fish were all healthy and decent size for the clones. Most fish were about or over 2 pounds, so all that bait in the water is being put to good use. I got a couple 3 pounders and then the big one for the day was 4 pounds 12 ounces. Here's the fun part, all on topwater or floating jerkbaits. Also a fun part, they are starting to boil on the surface again. It's so much fun scrambling to the boils and throwing your lure in the mix. Here's the hard part, it's getting warm. I think yesterday was 88 degrees F and the sun was pounding. Wind was calm until lunch time also, then it was about 10kts with some gusts to about 15, I'd guess. All in all, a great day at a great lake. Happy fishing all.
thumbnail_IMG_9623.jpg
Should look happier, I'm not a photographer, I'm a fisherman.
Should look happier, I'm not a photographer, I'm a fisherman.
Wife says I must have been concentrating, that's why the tongue is out.
Wife says I must have been concentrating, that's why the tongue is out.
Seaway
Pro Angler

Re: Barrett report July 1

Post by Seaway »

Great news and a great report!!! Thanks...
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

Nice work Dave!! i'm glad you found them. Only Barrett can you get them on top all day like that.
Billy Senko
Angler

Post by Billy Senko »

FYI
I hope everyone bent their barbs down on Saturday. Fish and Game wardens were out patrolling in their typical disguises. I hope you were not one of the seven anglers (at that point in the day) busted and cited for not bending down your barbs. The wardens were there for free fishing day to cite all the nonregulars for not bending their barbs down and to keep everyone honest. Yes, the old Barrett we all love was back on Saturday. We were fishing 4-inch senkos and Keitechs with good success. It seemed just when you gave up and started to reel your senko in they would nail it. Keitechs were just cast and slow roll retrieve. The gills were pretty active and caught a few of them also.
Shalom
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Billy Senko wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:15 pm FYI
I hope everyone bent their barbs down on Saturday. Fish and Game wardens were out patrolling in their typical disguises. I hope you were not one of the seven anglers (at that point in the day) busted and cited for not bending down your barbs. The wardens were there for free fishing day to cite all the nonregulars for not bending their barbs down and to keep everyone honest. Yes, the old Barrett we all love was back on Saturday. We were fishing 4-inch senkos and Keitechs with good success. It seemed just when you gave up and started to reel your senko in they would nail it. Keitechs were just cast and slow roll retrieve. The gills were pretty active and caught a few of them also.
Shalom
I have a Barrett Box with all crimped barbs and its amazing how those barbed hooks try to sneak back in there. Thanks for the heads up, going Saturday. And good news on the TW and reaction bite. Can’t wait!