Soft Plastics Colors and Combos

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Soft Plastics Colors and Combos

Post by DarkShadow »

I like the saying, K.I.S.S.

I usually have 3 tones and carry primary colors based on those.

Dark - Green Pumpkin
Baitfish - Natural Shad
Light - Morning Dawn

I'll carry a few profiles as well:

1. Stick
2. Straight Worm
3. Curly Tail
4. Baitfish

And fish them using a few methods:

1. Dropshot
2. Fly Lined
3. T-Rig
4. Wacky Rig

If you can't get them to go on any of those, pack it up and go home. ;-)
StinkyPinky23
Mega Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

Go home?! I’ll assume you spent most of your time power fishing and not wasting time, but then decided to resort to desperation measures in order to catch a fish, and that didn’t work? I still can’t believe I used to go bass fishing with the intent to drag a worm around from word go
StinkyPinky23
Mega Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

If anyone ever sees me fishing a dropshot, I’m basically on life support at that point and may need a defibrillator
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Holy Moly, The Worm Store!! I loved that place! I would have almost forgotten, thanks for bring up some fond old memories=)
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

StinkyPinky23 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:27 pm If anyone ever sees me fishing a dropshot, I’m basically on life support at that point and may need a defibrillator
That’s hilarious….but, there are exceptions. Hudd ROF0, big lake forks. Sometimes a big “dropshot” isn’t for desperate times
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Hellavate
Angler

Post by Hellavate »

I'm whipping out the dropshot @ Barrett everytime and Slaughtering! No shame in my game - I ain't losing 40 on lures there! Haha
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

My favorite color Worm is not really a color. Black. Straight, no flakes, glitter, Curly tail. I mostly bought 8 inch and cut/melt the tip with matches, not a lighter, for length. Lighters leave a smell. Texas Rig, Wacky, wacky with a nail. My Dad showed me those techniques in the 60s. Funny how things you have done forever become the hot new thing.
jjbasser
Angler

Post by jjbasser »

What, no mention of the color C lector? Hahahaha
Hellavate
Angler

Post by Hellavate »

How do we feel about the "tipped" senkos? Like it's got a tip on either side that's a different color. I was eyeballing the black / chart tip that look bass delectable.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Back in Eastern Waters, you can barely tell the mud from the water, those Chartreuse tipped baits are legend. Here in California most of our water is vastly clearer. I believe the clearer water demands a more natural color. Now people will say I caught one on an Orange worm or Jig with bright Green trailer, but overall natural colors work much better for Big Bass in these clear waters.
Hellavate
Angler

Post by Hellavate »

Good point - even in the green pea soup of Barrett?
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

So are these colors really the favorite of fish or of fishermen? I think a lot of colors (and even lures) are selected on the basis of "I would eat that if I was a fish" (a form of anthropomorphism).

FYI, bass only have red and green cones, they can't distinguish blue from black or at best, dark green. And yellow and white look the same to them. So yellow-blue (never seen this color in a worm or crankbait) looks like yellow-black (bumble bee) looks like white-black (shad) looks like white-blue (blue back herring).

You can't go wrong with cow manure green/brown, even though it violates "I would eat that if I was a fish". And it certainly does not "match the hatch".
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Mcfish wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:56 am
Fisheromen wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:26 am A really good fisherman told me that he tries to match the color of the lake bottom.
So I need to find lakes with purple bottoms????
That would be Lake Barney
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

8A3F1F38-116F-4514-87FB-D895E5A4DEA9.jpeg
If I had to pick one color; the Green Pumpkin Purple 6” Roboworm has caught at every lake I’ve fished here. Seems to work in both clear and stained water. Any combination of brown/purple, green pumpkin/purple, green pumpkin/blue seems to be pretty universal but this one specifically is my #1
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Just tossing this out...
A 3 inch Bass Assassin in Silver Phantom Salt & Pepper (flylined on a 1/0 EWG hook) catches more creek bass for me than any other lure. It doesn't match the color or shape of the baitfish in our local creeks...but it works great
Not so great when I venture out on a local reservoir.
But when I travel and bring along a rod 'just in case,' there will be some of these in my luggage. They have helped me get smallmouth, LMB, crappie and even some channel cats out of unfamiliar waters....
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Carpkiller wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:52 pm Just tossing this out...
A 3 inch Bass Assassin in Silver Phantom Salt & Pepper (flylined on a 1/0 EWG hook) catches more creek bass for me than any other lure. It doesn't match the color or shape of the baitfish in our local creeks...but it works great
Not so great when I venture out on a local reservoir.
But when I travel and bring along a rod 'just in case,' there will be some of these in my luggage. They have helped me get smallmouth, LMB, crappie and even some channel cats out of unfamiliar waters....
That color is great in the tiny baby sluggos!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:00 pm 8A3F1F38-116F-4514-87FB-D895E5A4DEA9.jpegIf I had to pick one color; the Green Pumpkin Purple 6” Roboworm has caught at every lake I’ve fished here. Seems to work in both clear and stained water. Any combination of brown/purple, green pumpkin/purple, green pumpkin/blue seems to be pretty universal but this one specifically is my #1
I actually picked up a few packs of those and like the color combo as they have a little of everything. I also like the Martin Madness
Roboworms....gotta have those purple and brown colors.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:50 am
CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:00 pm 8A3F1F38-116F-4514-87FB-D895E5A4DEA9.jpegIf I had to pick one color; the Green Pumpkin Purple 6” Roboworm has caught at every lake I’ve fished here. Seems to work in both clear and stained water. Any combination of brown/purple, green pumpkin/purple, green pumpkin/blue seems to be pretty universal but this one specifically is my #1
I actually picked up a few packs of those and like the color combo as they have a little of everything. I also like the Martin Madness
Roboworms....gotta have those purple and brown colors.
Ideally too, the more opaque colors like GP Purple, greeen pumpkin black flake, Aaron’s green pumpkin seem to get bit more when there is cloud cover and less light in the water. Once clouds are gone, they still work, but something like a MM or Purple Brown Hologram that’s primarily translucent in stained water or either of those or a watermelon red/black flake in clear water, or of course… morning Dawn.. seem to get more bites with the sun overhead and no clouds in the sky