Barrett report May 31st

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Early release
Extreme Angler

Barrett report May 31st

Post by Early release »

Hi all,

Chilly day at Barrett today. I think the air was about 50 or so and the wind was super chilly. Water temp has dropped a little, my reading was 70 everywhere and since the sun never showed it's face, it didn't warm up anywhere. I did Wilson's cove and got a few on jigs and crankbaits. Then I pedaled over to Hauser and pulled in 10 perky fish on a jerkbait. Talked to someone who was killing it with a popper, I think he said he had 18 before 0800 on a popper. That's pretty cool. Apparently all those fish were not available for a second trip to a boat, since I caught nothing on topwater lures. I then headed over to Pine arm and fished the wind protected parts of the lake, not because the fish were suspected to be there, but because I was freezing in the wind. It worked out fine, though. Crankbaits and jerkbaits brought another 13 into the kayak and most were over 2 pounds. The "lunker" of the day was 3 pounds 10 ounces. But they had nice little chubby bellies, they must be finding all the shad just fine. I think it's going to be amazing when the weather starts looking better.
thumbnail_IMG_9419.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_9422.jpg
Bg90
Angler

Re: Barrett report May 31st

Post by Bg90 »

How you like your kayak? I’m in the market for an old town pdl.
Borderbasser
Angler

Post by Borderbasser »

Lol that was me with the popper.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

@Bg90 , I think it's just about perfect. The pedal assembly really is nice and since the kayak is fairly wide, I find, I stand up more. You can move yourself along by bending down and pedaling with your hand, so that's nice. I have the Sportsman 120 PDL, I think that it is an excellent size. I can put my trailer wheels on the very back of it, so I don't have to walk back to my truck after launch, and at that size, the wheels are out of the way. The front hatch has a ton of room, so you have to be disciplined not to fill it up. There's a hatch behind the seat that is nice for mounting a battery and whatever else you don't need to have out, but need to have on the kayak. I did add seat risers to it, it wasn't too low, but I prefer to sit a bit higher. I kind of bought it without a lot of research, but liked the prop over the fins ( personal preference without any basis in fact ) so I could have been disappointed, but a year later, I absolutely love it, and every day I use it is a pleasure. I'd buy it again without reservation.

@Borderbasser ahaha, good thing I was complimentary of your fishing :) Hope you had fun, after we parted company.