The Magic Waterfall 5/6 and 5/7

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Borderbasser
Angler

The Magic Waterfall 5/6 and 5/7

Post by Borderbasser »

Late report but I went out to the B on 5/6 in my kayak and found a good topwater bite before the sound came up throwing a popper. After that I struggled for a bit. Threw the chatter, blade and jig for a few fish and finally just started doing a lot of exploring. Lake was full of life and is so much different. I know that the key to success at B is finding the bait so I started scanning for birds around 11AM and found a nice cove with lots of bait. So much shad on the surface it looked like rain drops at times. I put on a fluke and immediately caught a couple bass. Then I found one of the waterfalls and it had shad buzzing through it. At this point I had 17 bass for the morning and it was about 1pm. I ended the day with 51 when I stopped fishing at 4:30pm. All 34 bass were caught right in front of an area no wider than 8ft where the shad were being corralled by bass in the waterfall. It was pretty ridiculous at times how easy it was to get bit. None of the bass were big tho but still it was such a rad bite.

The next day I came with my son on a boat and found some good topwater action action again near the same spots as the day before. My sone stayed asleep in the car because he had prom the night before so once the topwater was done I went to pick him up. At the dock I found Chuck Lai and his family roping in the bass and bluegill. Shad were all over the dock area that day and I managed to catch some there on a vibrating lipless. Once I picked up my son I took him to the magic waterfall. He was like 'magic waterfall, yeah right dad' but once we pulled up he caught about 24 bass in two hours of fishing. It was so sick! almost every cast was a bite or a fish, he lost a bunch too. I didn't even fish there and was stoked to see him slay. Went back to the dock after that to try fo bluegill and stuff and picked up a couple more bass and left at 1pm.

This lake is totally different now and there is ssooooo much to explore. I really hope it stays this high for at least 2 years so the fish population can catch up. If you are fishing Barrett in a yak or boat don't waste your time with dead water. Look for bait, keep an eye out for the terns. That is where you are gonna have epic days, otherwise its gonna be tougher. Finding the bait is the difference between a good day and a great day.
The_Outdoor_Chase
Angler

Re: The Magic Waterfall 5/6 and 5/7

Post by The_Outdoor_Chase »

Never heard of this water fall is it housers or pine? Anyways thanks for the report! Nice job