Wrong Again!

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Wrong Again!

Post by Fisheromen »

I said last week that it seemed the bite at Sutherland was stirring. That judgment was premature! The bite, it seems, is again cold as ice. At least it appears that way to me and a couple of friends who will remain nameless unless they choose to chime in. Between us we caught 4 fish. Overcast early and then bright sky. There was one difference that may have been a contributing factor to the fishing funk... the shad spawn is on and they were pretty thick in the brush. Could be the bass were stuffed! Gotta try, right?
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Re: Wrong Again!

Post by VinnyBass »

It was so exciting as I prepped my fishing gear days before my trip and was pretty confident it was going to be some great fishing despite the long drive up the lake. Besides a selection of proven worms, I carefully packed every bait that had been successful over the years and the whole drive there was visualizing bass being caught on certain baits I had pre-rigged on the 4 rods in my kayak. Lake Sutherland(don't need to protect it by calling it the lake of D & K after this fishing trip) is huge now after all the rains and even had to park up near the concession stand. Everything still looked very fishy and when on the water, I even put my net in front of me for easy access. After no bites on reaction baits, I switched to worms and still nothing. I then switched baits constantly trying to find anything that would lead to even a bite. I basically threw the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and laundry tub in desperation of getting a bite. OH MY!..a bass grabbed my under spin in the heavy stick ups for 3 seconds and I missed it. I cannot calculate how many casts I make but only got one other bite on a senko. I landed a small bass and that was it. One bass kept me from getting skunked. Despite catching that little bass, the long drive home was not fun. I can only hope that the bite improves, but honestly am not sure how much it needs to improve for me to return. At least it was nice seeing and chatting with @fisheromen and another fisherman who will remain nameless unless they choose to chime in.
Maybe 1 bass is the new 5 from this point on? ha ha

Just for laughs, here is a pic of the only bass to cooperate....
IMG_5197.PNG
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

When o when will that lake turn back on. Glad to know the shad were spawning, sounds like a spinnerbait will start to work again early in the morning. At least you caught something, no fun getting skunked. I went twice last month and only got two bites, one of which was in the parking lot.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

professionull wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:55 am When o when will that lake turn back on. Glad to know the shad were spawning, sounds like a spinnerbait will start to work again early in the morning. At least you caught something, no fun getting skunked. I went twice last month and only got two bites, one of which was in the parking lot.
Thought the same thing and in the morning I threw a spinnerbait all over the place along the shorelines up near the bank and parallel to it. I was certain I would get bit and then tossed a variety of under spins and still nothing. Last year those baits produced fish early but the bass were just not on the chew.
Another angler who will remain unnamed that may chime in, can attest to that.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Ok, I'll chime in! Every week I think it's going to happen...and it doesn't! The lake is actually still coming up even though they say they're still taking out 25mgd!!! The lake looks so good and everywhere you think there has to be fish..they're not there! I fished deep, shallow, flipped brush, fished grass, and even fished road beds and the parking lots....for 2 fish! Between the 3 of us, I though one of us would hit on a pattern...nada! I did notice the water visibility is down to about a foot, it might be better deeper, but the fish don't act like it. The water temp was 67-70..it should be happening! Even the crappie haven't made a showing this year! If you've found a pattern that works..Congrats, but I haven't ran into that person yet! Maybe next week...even though I've said that since March!
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

Third Friday next week. Lake closed even though the lake staff will be there!🤔
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Fisheromen wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:38 am Third Friday next week. Lake closed even though the lake staff will be there!🤔
With the lake closed next Friday.......most likely the bass will be all over the place looking for something to eat....ha ha.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Fisheromen wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:38 am Third Friday next week. Lake closed even though the lake staff will be there!🤔
You're trying to make me angry....!
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Screenshot_20230512-183919_Photos.jpg
The actual picture of Mr. Vinnybass and his only fish that day...
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

Can't be Vinnybass, he doesn't smoke!
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

On second thought, it could be Vinny and the cigarette is a disguise! Crafty one, that Vinnybass!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:42 am Screenshot_20230512-183919_Photos.jpgThe actual picture of Mr. Vinnybass and his only fish that day...
Thanks for letting me borrow one of your bobbers…… how did the red worms work out for you? I thought you usually use mealworms? Ha ha. :-)
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Again, like we say during the doldrums, thang God for Suicide Fish. Just like first cast Fish,
they save you from a Skunk.