June 30 afternoon report

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Durango
Angler

June 30 afternoon report

Post by Durango »

Too old to fish all day anymore. Not that long ago it was 7AM to 8PM. Now afternoons only.

Bass not feeding like they were last two times out, but got quality. Many days in my 30 years fishing Barrett I've had 40 plus days, but out of the 40 maybe 2 or 3 maxed at 2.50 pounds. Sunday my 1st fish weighed 3.28, next 2.96, then 1.50, then a 7 incher, then a whopping 4.16 followed by a 2.68. I couldn't believe it. All drop-shotted, roboworms. Caught 3 more average-sized bass after that, and a bluegill about the size of Arnold Schwarzenegger's head.

Saw what must have been a bobcat crossing the road coming in. It was dark brown.

When I left the dock around 7:45 to go home, 4 or 5 guys were still catching bass off the dock. I was regretfully too pooped to join in.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: June 30 afternoon report

Post by JWall »

Durango…how deep were you drop shotting? That algae is getting to be a real nuisance up shallow.
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

Nice work!!
How's the wind in the afternoon? Never fished the afternoon,always morning.
Shawnster
Pro Angler

Post by Shawnster »

Thanks for the report Durango — glad to hear you had a quality day. And I’ve seen those Arnie sized Bluegill out there myself. No bobcat sightings yet, but we came across an owl and a tarantula on the road there (on separate trips unfortunately).
Durango
Angler

Post by Durango »

Answers to questions: Caught them 15 to 20 feet deep. Yes, mucho moss. Had to clean off hook and split shot after nearly every cast. A real downside to the drop-shot, got very tedious. But worth it. I am still shocked at the quality of the bass. And yes, those bluegill can get really big!

Note. 1st trip out late May I found them feeding at the very end of Hauser, in the salt cedars, thanks to Juul's advice. But last Sunday I went there and it felt very dead, as though there was not a fish in the area. Perhaps the bait moved out of the shallower warmer water?
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Durango wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:16 am Answers to questions: Caught them 15 to 20 feet deep. Yes, mucho moss. Had to clean off hook and split shot after nearly every cast. A real downside to the drop-shot, got very tedious. But worth it. I am still shocked at the quality of the bass. And yes, those bluegill can get really big!

Note. 1st trip out late May I found them feeding at the very end of Hauser, in the salt cedars, thanks to Juul's advice. But last Sunday I went there and it felt very dead, as though there was not a fish in the area. Perhaps the bait moved out of the shallower warmer water?
Thanks Durango. Heading out Sunday. Thinking deeper for quality with a reaction rig handy in case there’s chasers. Bet you are right on the fish moving deeper to cooler water. Seems to be happening elsewhere too, save for that very early shoreline action.
Durango
Angler

Post by Durango »

Oops. Didn't answer the wind question. Was concerned on the drive out to Barrett. Trees were whipping back and forth, flags were flying. But once down in the gorge that is Barrett Lake, there was wind, but nothing serious. By 430 the wind was there, but made for an almost perfect drift where I was fishing. I can't speak for a general pattern of afternoon wind. Some afternoons, if there is wind, it dies down the last hour. Other days it makes for a long boat ride back to the dock.