[Late] Report for June 19

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Shawnster
Pro Angler

[Late] Report for June 19

Post by Shawnster »

Hey Barrett crew, posting this late report for Wednesday June 19:

With the help of the great guidance provided here (thanks again to those who responded to my "fishing identity crisis" post), I felt like we were starting to get our groove on again!

Me and my son got on the water on the late side (10:30) due to a little league game. We had a tube ticket with one tube. I stuffed the 8 year old on the front of the tube and we fished from the dock to just past Pigs until around 7:30pm. I landed 11, including a couple that must have been 3 or so pounds (guessing - no scale), and my son bested me with 13.

The tube vs. boat experience has been interesting -- my initial perception was that the boat must be better because we have access to the entire lake. But with the dad-only powered tube, we were 'forced' to figure out the nuances of a smaller area which helped me to fish slower and apply some of the concepts I've been trying to master. And while landing 11 fish isn't quite mastery at Barrett, I'm not sure I would have had the same success blowing through the same area on a boat.

My son was seeing success fishing with the DC Shad (thank you @Early release ) and Reaper/Sweeper (thank you @JWall ). I got a few on a medium sized black Whopper Plopper, several on a dark green pumpkin Ika, and this small top water crawler type thing was killing it -- super fun to fish. I don't remember where I bought it or what it's called, but it was a hit when fished slow with plenty of long pauses.
IMG_3679.jpg
I started to catch fish with Senkos mid-day, but stopped using them because I just wanted to try other baits and techniques. Interestingly, I didn't get any love with crankbaits, A-rig, or Keitechs with underspins. Also jigs -- I know they are a staple in everyone's bass arsenal, but I haven't cracked the code yet!

All-in-all, another great day on the Big B! We saw two bald eagles, talked to some nice folks, caught some fish, refined some techniques, and it was great to get some top water action going.

We scored a boat ticket for July 7 -- me and my two boys will be on the lake early (~5am), and picking up a buddy on the dock at 10am. It would be great to say hello to some of the regulars here!
Attachments
IMG_3653.jpg
IMG_3639.jpg
IMG_3640.jpg
IMG_8182.jpg
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: [Late] Report for June 19

Post by JWall »

We are there the 7th and will keep an eye out for you! And don’t say I didn’t warn you about them boys besting you in no time 😂 Good job dad 👍
SjW
Angler

Post by SjW »

Interesting little bait in the picture, looks like a Cicada top water
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

That's great that you had a good day with your kids.I'm really happy some of our suggestions helped you.

I think that topwater you have is a duo realis shinmushi cicada like SjW said. I think those crawlers are a lot of fun to use and get great hits. I use the Heddon Crazy Crawler quite a bit and it's cheaper, so I am more willing to cast in places where I may not get it back. Favorite color is the bull frog version, but oddly the white/red gets as many hits for me. Hope to see you out there soon!
Pond_prowler_619
Pro Angler

Post by Pond_prowler_619 »

Nice chunks you guys got there sounds like a great day 11 13 fish is pretty good especially with fish that size. Great to see you guys having a blast..
Jesus saves 🙌
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Good looking fish you've got there. I'm baffled at the fact that you got both you and your boy on your tube.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

That float tube looks like a tank! I guess that's what happens when an Inflatable Boat Co make one? Very nice!
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

So awesome! Being a dad is a great thing, fishing with your kids is even better! 😄

I love my FRM Boards tube. I fished mine for 5 years, gave it to my eldest son, and bought another one. I have a Bixpy motor mounted underneath it and highly recommend it!