Frogging in the thick cheese

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
619bassin
Pro Angler

Frogging in the thick cheese

Post by 619bassin »

Got to water with Dave @4:30, unusually windy but managed to get them on the crawler, a couple of 3 pounder.
Headed back to Hauser after Dave left and started with the frog, dragging it over the thick mat of cheese and when there’s a water opening the bass would explode on it. Gotta have braided lines to drag them out, but it was fun. Got 6 and missed a couple, it can only get better with the heat coming soon. Can’t wait.
Attachments
IMG_4497.jpeg
IMG_4510.jpeg
SjW
Angler

Re: Frogging in the thick cheese

Post by SjW »

Wanted to let you know I had really good luck early on wopper popper, but unfortunately the seat risers don't fit my yak either
jmytuna
Angler

Post by jmytuna »

Love cheese fishing with the frog
Hate having to raise the trolling motor and only able to maneuver in the jungle w fins/hand paddle
Good times Chuck
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

Yea it can be tough getting back there if you're not in a kayak or boat, but it is rewarding to get them on the frog.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

That looks so fun. I need to get braid on one of my heavy rods and go back there with you.
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

Yeah, without braid I'd not of landed half my topwater bass either (hollow bodied and boot foot frogs). The slime covers most the underwater shoreline bushes, and they head right for it after hooksets. Thanks for the heads up on that pattern 619. Ended w/ 15, all top but one on a follow-up Senko. Not bad numbers with missing morning bite. Like you, I lost some real monsters... barbless favors the big ones for sure, their head shakes are so fierce. When they first explode it's fairly exciting, then the following sequence: you know it's fairly large, due the explosion size, but then moments later she shows off her true size, going air born with that giant mouth shaking to and fro at a 1,000 rpm's, and the instant physical and spiritual rush, heart attack and at the same time a quick prayer to God to keep her buttoned, and then the heart break on realizing during that first jump she threw the lure- DANG DANG DANG. BUT, that's fishing, better luck next time, right? ;/(.

Good times overall. Getting super hot out in the afternoons, bring tons of water. Wet face scarfs and hats help, and I now find beach towels draped over aluminum seats cut reflected heat by 90%.

Better to have fished and lost, than never to have fished at all.
Attachments
IMG_6158_2.jpg
IMG_6169_3.jpg
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

Nice work Michael, those are healthy bass, only negative i have is trying to get all that moss/white fluffy flower that'd stick to the braid off. I guess you have to work for them.
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

619bassin wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:07 pm Nice work Michael, those are healthy bass, only negative i have is trying to get all that moss/white fluffy flower that'd stick to the braid off. I guess you have to work for them.
What a pain in the butt that stuff is. sticking to and globbing up on the line. Stops casting As it tries to get through the guides, etc. Yeah it’s a lot of work per cast really. Only gets worse over the summer.