Back to Monday Fun day!

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
RickM
Angler

Re: Back to Monday Fun day!

Post by RickM »

Thanks a lot @Mcfish, really appreciate it. Great tips on the submerged trees and such. I generally fish around them but not in them.

I was at SV on Monday as well and fished dropshot and jig. I probably had (literally) 15 snags with the DS which I had to retie every time.

I caught a nice one in the cove near the dock, up near the rock hill, on a jig that was just shy of 3. Then moved around the island and then the cove around the corner from the dam before heading back in. All in all landed 4, lost 4. Had the same issues as others are describing where the 4 that I lost all spit the hook out on their way in.

Will be back out there Friday morning for a couple hours.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

RamonaAngler wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:43 pm Good to see you out there on Monday. Even fishing near you I hooked up on a drop shot, but she came off, in fact all 5 bites I had yesterday came off the hook. Gonna have to change hooks. Great job out there actually boating 23 bass! I'll be back next Monday. Maybe I can tie a line to your boat and follow you around for the day. Take care and tight lines Mcfish!
Owner Haymaker. 1/0 for the 4” worms and 2/0 for the 6”. Have not had a fish come off since I started using these. Have bought a couple places out of their stock lol. Owner has been promising retailers a restock for a few months now so hopefully all sizes will be available soon.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

RickM wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:16 am Thanks a lot @Mcfish, really appreciate it. Great tips on the submerged trees and such. I generally fish around them but not in them.

I was at SV on Monday as well and fished dropshot and jig. I probably had (literally) 15 snags with the DS which I had to retie every time.

I caught a nice one in the cove near the dock, up near the rock hill, on a jig that was just shy of 3. Then moved around the island and then the cove around the corner from the dam before heading back in. All in all landed 4, lost 4. Had the same issues as others are describing where the 4 that I lost all spit the hook out on their way in.

Will be back out there Friday morning for a couple hours.
Other thing I’ve learned through trial and error at the V: use the lightest dropshot weight you can. Used to throw 3/8 pretty much everywhere but in those trees, the lighter your weight, the less snags you’ll have to pop out of. I don’t throw heavier than 3/16 unless I’m fishing in 20+ feet anymore - you want just enough to get you to the bottom in whatever wind and current conditions there are. That, along with using the Zappu weights that are shaped a little differently that come through trees better have helped reduce the number of snags by a lot for me.
RickM
Angler

Post by RickM »

@corsoenthusiast Great point! And will have to check out that brand of weights.