D&K 6/23

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

D&K 6/23

Post by Dannicus »

Met a gentleman named Mike at the lake who told me that he actually enjoys my posts here on the forum so this one's for you brother.

I arrived @Mcfish 's lake when it opened and got on the water just in time for some excellent topwater action. I caught 5 quality bass in the first hour and a half on an Evergreen ghost shad plug. The thing is amazing, walks great and is perfectly balanced to walk and chug. Because I like lighter gear, I got the 77.7 size. @VinnyBass saw it in action the other day at Murray and commented on how good it looked in the water.

Unfortunately after the topwater bite turned off I couldn't find another pattern they wanted. Crankbaits, jerkbaits, Senkos, worms, jigs, all produced only two little clones for the rest of the day. Still I'm not complaining the early topwater action made it all worthwhile.

What I will complain about is that I finally hung and lost the little crankbait that has been so productive for me over the last few weeks. Oh well, Tackle Warehouse take my money please lol.
IMG_20240623_064143038_HDR.jpg
Screenshot_20240623-235014.png
Last edited by Dannicus on Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: D&K 6/23

Post by JWall »

Oh no…not your crankbait?!?! Oh well, it lived a very good life for you! I have a similar plug to that walker. Haven’t hooked a fish on it yet but hooked about everything else that came within a foot of it. Upholstery, fingers, other lures, clothing, you name it! Thanks for the report.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Bummer about that bait. It's been working great for you. Do you have a lure hound or whatever that lure retriever is called? It's saved me a few favorites when they got stuck at Hodges. BTW, I think that lake has the worst stickups for crankbaits.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

No lure retriever because frankly I don't fish many treble hook lures. Still after I replace the crankbait maybe I will have to look into getting one lol.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Lure retrievers are definitely a great investment.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Any type or brand you guys recommend?
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Hi, this is what I got. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Jewel_B ... BHDLR.html

It has paid for itself. Actually on the first lure retrieved since crankbaits have gotten so expensive.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Thanks brother!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Dannicus wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:15 am Any type or brand you guys recommend?
The good ole Hound dog. Early release nailed it. If I’m not wrong, he saw mine in action and had to buy one. Just Friday I used it twice…once on a hung up worm. A first as I usually only pull it out for crankbaits but it was handy.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

JWall wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:46 am
The good ole Hound dog. Early release nailed it. If I’m not wrong, he saw mine in action and had to buy one. Just Friday I used it twice…once on a hung up worm. A first as I usually only pull it out for crankbaits but it was handy.
PS and good hooks are over a buck apiece! 😆
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

This one. You will love the tighter spiral that that line goes through. It gives you more control and keeps the chains closer to the hooks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305020993067
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Dannicus wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:46 pm Met a gentleman named Mike at the lake who told me that he actually enjoys my posts here on the forum so this one's for you brother.

I arrived @Mcfish 's lake when it opened and got on the water just in time for some excellent topwater action. I caught 5 quality bass in the first hour and a half on an Evergreen ghost shad plug. The thing is amazing, walks great and is perfectly balanced to walk and chug. Because I like lighter gear, I got the 77.7 size. @VinnyBass saw it in action the other day at Murray and commented on how good it looked in the water.

Unfortunately after the topwater bite turned off I couldn't find another pattern they wanted. Crankbaits, jerkbaits, Senkos, worms, jigs, all produced only two little clones for the rest of the day. Still I'm not complaining the early topwater action made it all worthwhile.

What I will complain about is that I finally hung and lost the little crankbait that has been so productive for me over the last few weeks. Oh well, Tackle Warehouse take my money please lol.

IMG_20240623_064143038_HDR.jpg
Screenshot_20240623-235014.png
Love those bowling pin type topwaters. Nice report! Great to see you getting so much time on the water!
Check out the IMA Big Stick, Little Stick and Baby Stick. They have been my go to over the Sammy and Gunfish (I'm a Die Hard Luck Craft Guy) in a lot of situations. They walk real nice and easy and get bit.
Attachments
BIG Stick .jpg
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

JWall wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:46 am
I think you may have saved one of my little crankbaits with it, so I ordered it that night.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I have the BPS one, I tig welled some bigger hoops on it when I was religiously throwing big swim baits. It has definitely saved me well over $2000. The hound dog is almost the same. I welded bigger chain with big j hooks and attached it to Tuna cord to it. I’ve had to go to the bank to get leverage and have yanked out dead trees. No joke. Only thing it won’t budge is something burried in a rock crack.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life