6/13- Murray Madness

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

6/13- Murray Madness

Post by VinnyBass »

After driving up to find Murray closed on Tuesday, I decided to give it a go this morning.
Seeing that I already caught 2 big catfish in May fishing for bass, I somehow managed to catch another catfish that gobbled down my Texas rigged brush hog. I thought at first it was a nice bass for about 20 seconds. I know @Mcfish is going to probably buy me a hat with a catfish on it since these are the biggest fish I have put in my boat this year...ha ha
Anyway, the bass fishing started by landing 3 dinks on topwater with a Sammy after a number of bass kept missing it. It was crazy how they kept banging it or jumping over it. Then I switched to a small fluke and landed 2 more small bass off the surface. After a bit, the surface action was pretty done. Tried a few worms and then I decided to work some creature baits. Between the double tail
hula grub and brush hogs, I landed 6 more bass which was a blast with my top bass going 3.75lbs. I had a fun morning and after missing
a number of bass on top who avoided the treble hooks, I got lucky land landed 11 bass and one ugly catfish. Anyway, it looks like the topwater action should be getting even better as it warms up.
Tight lines everyone.

The cat
IMG_3175.PNG
On top
IMG_3171.PNG
IMG_3181.PNG
Off the bottom
IMG_3182.PNG
IMG_3178.PNG
..and just for laughs
IMG_3184.PNG
IMG_3185.PNG
Another highlight was finding one of McFish's poppers he probably lost the last time he was here.(He really likes those $1.29 bargain specials...ha ha) :-)
IMG_3186.jpg
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: 6/13- Murray Madness

Post by JWall »

Nice work VB!! If I caught fish like that at Murray I’m not sure I’d go anywhere else.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

What a fun report, nice work out there.
Big C
Pro Angler

Post by Big C »

Nice display of angling prowess by the Murray master.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Gimme back my popper! Looks like an old Rebel popper!
Attachments
Screenshot_20240613-204855_Google.jpg
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:22 pm Gimme back my popper! Looks like an old Rebel popper!
Your popper was not made by Rebel…. Looking at it closely it probably was made in some sweatshop in China. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
:-)
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Feild .jpg
Nice day out there!
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Awesome Vinny. Now we know how you get all those lures... You've been cat burglaring Mcfish. Be honest.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Dannicus wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:03 pm Awesome Vinny. Now we know how you get all those lures... You've been cat burglaring Mcfish. Be honest.
If you saw my Tackle Warehouse purchase history, you would see that I am not even close to the point of having to cat burglar tackle from McFish. Besides, he only mostly has 2 inch Robo worms that used to be 4 inches until he bit the heads off of them…ha ha :-)
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Hey McFish…That catfish hat you posted makes me laugh, but in a way it’s kind of funny as I have caught three nicely sized catfish in about a month while fishing for bass. I wonder if I try to catch a catfish if I’ll catch a big bass??? Most likely not.
Ol Dirty Basser
Angler

Post by Ol Dirty Basser »

I read on Facebook that Murray was getting lowered and that the ramp would be out of commission. Is that not true, or did it not happen yet?
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Ol Dirty Basser wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:00 am I read on Facebook that Murray was getting lowered and that the ramp would be out of commission. Is that not true, or did it not happen yet?
The ramp will most likely be out of commission.
Usually every year because of the 4th of July fireworks show at Lake Murray they lower the water each week prior to the event.
It sucks as if you have a boat it gets to the point where you cannot launch. I have not been over recently but pretty sure it is
even lower than went I went on June 13th. I did take a pic on June 7 and then on June 13 before I launched and even then you can see the water level
difference. Only good news would be of the float tubers and kayakers.
It was a little sketchy last year to launch my kayak near the ramp and over a few rocks when the ramp when the water level was so low.

If I stop by the lake in a few days I can give you a better update.

June 7th
IMG_3086.jpg
June 13
IMG_3144.jpg
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Just got back from stopping by Murray. Just to confirm that yes the water will be lowered to the point where the boat ramp
will be out of service as I spoke to one of the City workers there. At the moment, the water is right about where it was on
the June 13 pic above. He said they have been keeping it stable as much as they can recently but it will be dropping. I will
update more if I decide to fish there this week. I will most likely take my kayak if I do.
Tight lines
Ol Dirty Basser
Angler

VinnyBass wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:03 pm Just got back from stopping by Murray. Just to confirm that yes the water will be lowered to the point where the boat ramp
will be out of service as I spoke to one of the City workers there. At the moment, the water is right about where it was on
the June 13 pic above. He said they have been keeping it stable as much as they can recently but it will be dropping. I will
update more if I decide to fish there this week. I will most likely take my kayak if I do.
Tight lines
Thanks for the intel. With my home lake (Otay) closed to boats this weekend and Murray possibly unlaunchable, I might have to do some driving.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Ol Dirty Basser wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:57 pm
VinnyBass wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:03 pm Just got back from stopping by Murray. Just to confirm that yes the water will be lowered to the point where the boat ramp
Tight lines
Thanks for the intel. With my home lake (Otay) closed to boats this weekend and Murray possibly unlaunchable, I might have to do some driving.
What’s up at Otay Dirty Basser?
Ol Dirty Basser
Angler

JWall wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:03 pm
Ol Dirty Basser wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:57 pm
Tight lines
What’s up at Otay Dirty Basser?
I believe somebody posted that there's some type of rowing event at Otay this weekend.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I may have possibly seen it somewhere else, not on this site.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Here is what is on the SD City of San Diego Site:
Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 9.28.29 AM.png
Ol Dirty Basser
Angler

VinnyBass wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:17 pm After driving up to find Murray closed on Tuesday, I decided to give it a go this morning.
Seeing that I already caught 2 big catfish in May fishing for bass, I somehow managed to catch another catfish that gobbled down my Texas rigged brush hog. I thought at first it was a nice bass for about 20 seconds. I know @Mcfish is going to probably buy me a hat with a catfish on it since these are the biggest fish I have put in my boat this year...ha ha
Anyway, the bass fishing started by landing 3 dinks on topwater with a Sammy after a number of bass kept missing it. It was crazy how they kept banging it or jumping over it. Then I switched to a small fluke and landed 2 more small bass off the surface. After a bit, the surface action was pretty done. Tried a few worms and then I decided to work some creature baits. Between the double tail
hula grub and brush hogs, I landed 6 more bass which was a blast with my top bass going 3.75lbs. I had a fun morning and after missing
a number of bass on top who avoided the treble hooks, I got lucky land landed 11 bass and one ugly catfish. Anyway, it looks like the topwater action should be getting even better as it warms up.
Tight lines everyone.

Another highlight was finding one of McFish's poppers he probably lost the last time he was here.(He really likes those $1.29 bargain specials...ha ha) :-)
IMG_3186.jpg
Vinny, do you throw a lot of junebug? I kinda gave up on that color awhile back.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Ol Dirty Basser wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:30 am
VinnyBass wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:17 pm After driving up to find Murray closed on Tuesday, I decided to give it a go this morning.
Tight lines everyone.

IMG_3186.jpg
Vinny, do you throw a lot of junebug? I kinda gave up on that color awhile back.
Just recently I started throwing it and it has been paying off. I think the bass can see it(Junebug) better especially in murkier waters.
The funny thing about me is that a color will work for me and then instead of sticking to it, I usually end up using it for a bit and then
end up switching colors and that Junebug color will eventually just sit in a tackle box never to be used much again for a long time...ha ha
Ol Dirty Basser
Angler

I know it's definitely known as a murky water color. Seems to be a go-to in Florida. I had some success with it when I used to fish the Delta years ago, but it seemed like when I moved back to SD it didn't work as well for me.