Barrett Report June 12

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Early release
Extreme Angler

Barrett Report June 12

Post by Early release »

Got out at 0430 in what turned out to be incredible fog on the water. I was a couple minutes ahead of Chuck and it was some time before we could meet again. It kept rolling in and it felt a bit unsafe to cross the lake. I used my depthfinder GPS to not get turned around at all.

Headed over to Becky's cove and had good success with the popper and a couple whopper plopper takers. I compared the light color Megabass popper to the black Googan popper. I'd cast about 20 casts with one and then switch to the other. Drumroll.... didn't seem to matter. Caught the same number of fish on both. Air finally cleared and headed over to Becky's cove waterfall where there were some fish busting on the surface occasionally. Played with the Rapala #7, Megabass X70 and Daiwa SC shad. All produced. Anything large was ignored though. The Zara Spook was unattacked all day. Headed back into the back area of Hauser and caught a couple more on the black Googan popper. No testing, I was using the rod I can skip under trees with, because that seemed to make the difference for me.

Day turned out sunny and had a pretty stiff wind starting around 930. By 1030 it was time to go and it took a while to pedal back, I did stop along the way, but I think it was about 1130. Water temp leaving was 75. Back in Hauser I saw 79 in the shallows.
this is when it was clearing, you couldn't see 10 feet early.
this is when it was clearing, you couldn't see 10 feet early.
Caught this one on the BFS, sure is fun to hear the drag sing.
Caught this one on the BFS, sure is fun to hear the drag sing.
Pond_prowler_619
Pro Angler

Re: Barrett Report June 12

Post by Pond_prowler_619 »

Nice report brotha.... topwater is always a blast i have a couple rats that are gonna get chewed on 😆 this weekend
Jesus saves 🙌
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

Yes that fog was insane! I was more fearful about boaters not having lights. I stuck around main lake until sunlight, found new areas otherwise I would never fished. Caught a nice 3.5 on the new crawler.
Attachments
IMG_4443.jpeg
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

619bassin wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:02 am Yes that fog was insane! I was more fearful about boaters not having lights. I stuck around main lake until sunlight, found new areas otherwise I would never fished. Caught a nice 3.5 on the new crawler.
I heard a couple boats go by that I never saw. I don't think we had more than about 10 feet of visibility in the morning. I hope I have enough lights on my kayak that I am seen.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Pond_prowler_619 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:17 pm Nice report brotha.... topwater is always a blast i have a couple rats that are gonna get chewed on 😆 this weekend
I think I might bring a couple big lures too. I had a good one in the back of Hauser that educated me quickly on why I need heavier line. I may upgrade one of my reels to something heavy.
Shawnster
Pro Angler

Post by Shawnster »

Thanks for the great report Dave. Glad you didn’t get run over out there!