May 9- Lake Miramar

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

May 9- Lake Miramar

Post by VinnyBass »

Knowing that 15 north morning traffic on a weekday gets crazy and going south in the late afternoon a lot worse, I decided to head up to Lake Miramar and put in a little fishing time in my kayak. Knowing that I need to make the most of my time on the water I quickly headed across the lake.
I was tossing a senko along the tulles and got bit and the bass head away from them and came off on the first jump. I later tossed out a little deeper only to have my second bass come unbuttoned right next to my kayak. I was working a worm with a light weight in deeper water, got bit and within seconds it came off. 0 for 3. It was so frustrating to start off like that, but then things got better. I fished shallow and deep and was happy to find bass in both areas. Despite a few more bass coming unbuttoned, I was able to land 13 bass. Almost all of them were small(clones) as anyone who has fished Miramar knows what the average bass is, but it was fun. Also, there was a lot of trout in the water as I noticed more than a few times when bringing in my worm that a trout was right behind it and even banged it a few times. I bet some big bass are happy.
Anyway, I was about to leave and was heading closer to the boat ramp and wanted to try to land another bass because of superstition with the number 13. I was excited when I got bit on a small weighted Roboworm, and hooked up and wouldn't you know it......I pulled in a trout. :-)
Still had a fun time and probably next time I should bring a swimbait rod along.

Just a few pics....
IMG_5098.PNG
IMG_5089.PNG
IMG_5090.PNG
IMG_5094.PNG
Not big, but my biggest....
IMG_5091.PNG
Lake Miramar......"I'll be back!"
IMG_5087.jpg
galen
Pro Angler

Re: May 9- Lake Miramar

Post by galen »

Not even the trout are safe from you!
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

Is the water visibility still crap or did it clean up a little?
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

galen wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:29 pm Not even the trout are safe from you!
Ha ha! I caught that one by accident.
All I know is those trout were really aggressive.
Anyone going out who just threw a spoon, rooster tail( do people still use them?) or some type of trout related reaction bait, I think can catch a limit. They were fast and came out of nowhere and startled me a few times as I was reeling in my worms.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

And you still didn’t throw the hudd?! Oh Vinny Vinny Vinny
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

camobass wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:05 pm And you still didn’t throw the hudd?! Oh Vinny Vinny Vinny
Touché
And to think @camobass, I bought a swimbait rod for myself at Christmas thinking I was going to really give it a go in 2023. They say some people never learn and I guess I am pretty much one of them. I will take some Hud's and a couple swimbaits and that rod the next time I hit Miramar. The big question is will I be able to stick to throwing one longer than 30 minutes. The rewards are great, but I always seem to lack the patience to stick with it.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Sounds like it might not take 30min with your report.
You could always cast it, then sit on your rod but and dead stick it. Ive caught two at Murray doing that while throwing a glide bait in my hobie.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
self fish
Angler

Post by self fish »

Great post vinnie bass I guess I gotta go to Miramar today an
d check it out. I hope I can get half as many as you do. Great information about the lake thank you.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

self fish wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:09 am Great post vinnie bass I guess I gotta go to Miramar today an
d check it out. I hope I can get half as many as you do. Great information about the lake thank you.
Good luck out there. I really should have fished more closer to the tulles as casting towards the edges or long parallel casts along them may have produced more bass. I choose mostly to fish casting out to at least 20-25 feet of water as I normally have done in the past. Another thing I didn't do this time was I usually tie my kayak to the buoy line on the west side in Carol Cove. There is a damaged one there and I tie to it and make long casts towards the dam and change the angle every few casts a little. I also make long casts into Carol Cove from there too. Many times it has been a real productive spot especially when the winds come up in late morning. Anyway, sorry to ramble on but after I fish, I think about what I would do the next time(and yes @camobass I will be bringing some Huds and at least give them a shot here and there besides my normal worm fishing).
Tight lines
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

camobass wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:43 pm Sounds like it might not take 30min with your report.
You could always cast it, then sit on your rod but and dead stick it. Ive caught two at Murray doing that while throwing a glide bait in my hobie.
Actually I do appreciate you reminding me to not forget to toss a swimbait once in a while. Seriously, if I do catch a nice fat bass on one,
it will be you that I will be thanking for helping make that happen.
Tight lines my friend
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

professionull wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:49 pm Is the water visibility still crap or did it clean up a little?
It was overcast for a long while and hard to tell. And also because the water is high, it is deeper water along the tulles
and I didn't pay much attention. In the past if you cruised by the tulles you could see the bottom a little better but
when the sun came out I was mostly fishing in deeper water. Still a lot clearer than Murray...ha ha
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Hey @mcfish....let me know if you are planning to come down to Miramar and fish because it may be randomly closed that day
so I can let you know not to waste your time and all that gas to get there......ha ha.
I always like to be helpful.......to such a good friend. ;)
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

VinnyBass wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:01 am Hey @mcfish....let me know if you are planning to come down to Miramar and fish because it may be randomly closed that day
so I can let you know not to waste your time and all that gas to get there......ha ha.
Miramar is always a good time! I pretty much just float tube it since you can't always trust the water level on the ramp! Sounds like I need to make a special trip with my flyrods and round up some of those trout! Miramar can be a lot like Murray with little structure and massive tulles! Good job figuring out the pattern that day..you know you can always find em deep, I know you love to dropshot..ha!
Big C
Pro Angler

Post by Big C »

Sound pretty good to me. Nice rig ya got.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:09 am
VinnyBass wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:01 am Hey @mcfish....let me know if you are planning to come down to Miramar and fish because it may be randomly closed that day
Miramar is always a good time! I pretty much just float tube it since you can't always trust the water level on the ramp! Sounds like I need to make a special trip with my flyrods and round up some of those trout! Miramar can be a lot like Murray with little structure and massive tulles! Good job figuring out the pattern that day..you know you can always find em deep, I know you love to dropshot..ha!
The drop shot is a deadly bait at many places and especially at Miramar. As crazy as it sounds, I mainly used senkos(free line and some lightly weighted) and 7" roboworms rigged like a Carolina Rig with a small weight. The bass I caught were small, but I got it my head that if I drop shot I would be sickly up even smaller bass. I can imagine you coming down with your small Roboworms that you made even smaller by biting off the heads of them(via Ozzy Osbourne)and racking up lots of bass. You should set a goal since I did not do it, to catch one over 3lbs as it would look like a 5 pound bass in comparison to other bass that are biting.
Glad you have San V Fun Mondays or it would be Miramar Fun Mondays.......ha ha
Anyway........ Tight lines to ya buddy. :-)
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

Pro tip: If you back your boat to the water your yak will be closer to the water!😄
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Fisheromen wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:03 pm Pro tip: If you back your boat to the water your yak will be closer to the water!😄
I do appreciate your tip #fisheromen

But from past experience I do it like this....
I parked my truck in the morning up on top and used the wheels to get my kayak down to the water and then go back and put the wheels back in the truck.
IMG_5077.jpg
That pic in my post on my truck on the ramp was after I was packed and ready to go home. I found that trying to push my kayak up hill on the ramp and slide in in the back of the truck is not easy if my bed of the truck is facing the water. So, I just put the wheels back on and pull it up beyond the truck and turn the kayak around and the gravity of the sloping ramp takes care of the rest as it easily slides down hill and up into the bed of my truck.
Funny thing is that I never talk when I am putting my kayak away as I need to preserve my energy ha ha
Tight lines :-)
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

SDFish is back and Vinny Bass is still a Slayer. All is as it should be. I been doing the same….
IMG_1265.jpeg
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Hey there…..You found the new SDFish. Looks like you have been having fun! What lake is that heathy bass from? Somewhere up north is my guess. Looks healthier than most of the ones I’ve been catching. :-)
Tight lines always
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Thick and $assy from Canyon Lake, sort of a Barrett North.it holds a good population of 5-8 pound Bonus Bass that love to slurp Topwater.