Late yet epic!

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Durango
Angler

Late yet epic!

Post by Durango »

There is all this bad news in the world, but there are many good people, and many good things happen. My morning got messed up, unfortunately got to lake at 3:15 p.m. Talked to three guys at my car who said they caught forty between them. Good chat. Then one of them came over and gave me a handful a brand new Senkos, said "These will catch them." Unbelievable random kindness.

Then got in a boat and took off. I wanted to get to Hauser, but just had to get my line wet so went directly across from the dock. After a few casts, I was on my way. Or so I thought. The motor started acting funny, the little red light wouldn't turn off, and the motor went about 25% as fast as it did initially. So I creeped back to the doc.

Two fisherman had just returned from eleven hours of fishing, said they caught around a hundred between them, including an eight-pounder and two five-pounders, and several three-pounders. One said "Heh, use the boat we just used. Incredible engine!" So I loaded up, and then he came over and gave me three swimbaits, said "These will catch them." Again, unbelievable random kindness. The engine was absolutely magnificent, and fast.

Off to Hauser. I got my first fish at exactly 4:09 p.m. By 7:30 I had twenty-nine, a four-pounder, three three-pounders, several two to two-and-a-half-pounders, and three about the size of a Costco hotdog. A consistent bite, along maybe two hundred and fifty yards of shoreline.

I never got a chance to use the gifted plastics I was given. But I will in due time. Thanks again gentlemen!

Caught all fish on drop-shot, roboworms. I know, I know. Most Barrett fisherman abhor drop-shotting. But I absolutely love it. Actually, it is about all I know how to do well.
Durango
Angler

Re: Late yet epic!

Post by Durango »

Report was for Wednesday 5/29.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Sorry you had a rough start, but it's nice that other fishermen helped you out. I think Barrett has a good sharing spirit. Way to keep with it during all those possible downturns and make what sounds like a very nice finish to your day.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Glad to see that the Magic Lake is heating up. It is a special place populated by happy Anglers. We can almost call it the Barrett Family. It just goes to show what a properly managed Lake can produce socially as well as recreationally. Real Fishermen are a great group of people, everywhere I’ve traveled. You met some helpful People, pass it forward!
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Hey, way to make the best of it! The first time I got the change to fish Barrett, before the age of Mapquest, I got lost and went past the 9 am cut off when they close the gate. I finally managed to get in around 2 pm when the first train was leaving, after begging the gate keeper to let me in. When I fished Barrett this year in April, i had my trolling motor blow up 5 minutes into my first cast, but luckily, some very nice individuals let me use a backup that they had. Glad to see you got some advice and lures to make up for the late start.
Durango wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 7:46 pm Caught all fish on drop-shot, roboworms. I know, I know. Most Barrett fisherman abhor drop-shotting. But I absolutely love it. Actually, it is about all I know how to do well.
:D

It's not that I 'abhor' drop shotting, I just feel that drop shotting has a time and place. It's one of the most productive methods of catching bass, and If I need to fill up a livewell with 5 keepers, you bet it'll be one of the rods I'll have on deck especially during a tough bite. If I'm fishing DVL in the summer, then yeah, I'll probably have that rod on deck as well.

But you make a very interesting point above. You say that drop shot is about all you know how to do well. Growing up, Barrett served as the sensei when it came to getting confidence in other baits. It's where I learned how to fish a jig. A senko. A frog. A chatterbait. Use this sacred place as a teacher so that you can be confident in several different approaches. These Northerns (usually) make a concerted effort to destroy what you present them, so try new stuff out.
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

Amen DarkShadow, Amen. I've always used Barrett for just that reason. From day one, when I read 1/2 the field was throwing, and losing 100 Senkos a day on the bank, to land that many. I stuck with the learning, getting 'only' 20 to 40 per day. BUT now I know how to fish soooo many patterns, and that is a blast.

Thanks for the report, we ended the day not far from you, getting top water monsters.