Sunday 5/19 Report. Jig bite was on!

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Sunday 5/19 Report. Jig bite was on!

Post by Pourboy »

I managed to get out on the water on Sunday with my buddy Brad. It’s always fun fishing with a great friend and we don’t get to do it nearly as often as we used to. But when we do, it’s like picking up where we left off last time, it’s always competitive with us and we never know who will win when we anre out on the water. We got on the water right away and headed towards pine arm. As the sun came up, we looked for a top water bite and Brad managed to get three on a popper . His were all on shad color and I couldn’t get anything on my black popper. After struggling to find a reaction bite, we headed to one of our favorite spots and looked for a jig bite. That seemed to be the ticket for us for the day and pretty much all the fish for the rest of the day ended up being on jigs . All of the fish were between 15 and 25 feet of water pretty much on the old brush line. We did seem to have better results both on live trees and rock edges. All of the fish were super healthy and chunky with two fish going over 4 pounds . Several over three. And most of the rest in the 2 to 2 1/2 pound category. It didn’t seem so much like the colored mattered as much it was the depth. We got them on both black and blue and green pumpkin.
We did get to have a couple of great beverages, and got off the water in the late afternoon. We heard some people did very well in the back of Hauser and others said that they struggled. I don’t think we heard anybody say they got a good reaction bite on that day. We did not go all the way to the back of pine, so I’m not sure what that holds at this time. One Thing I think that is note worthy Is that we saw zero fish surface during the day. Also, we could not find any bluegill and we did look for them. We did have a great time and ended up with Brad beating me 21 to 19. I can’t wait to get out there for another jig bite like that. It wasn’t the epic numbers, but we had no dinks so that was great. Check out the video for more details if you want and I look forward to seeing you guys on the water soon.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Sunday 5/19 Report. Jig bite was on!

Post by JWall »

You were spot on with the deeper bite. We enjoyed watching you two dissect that flat across from us, it produced for hours! We think the big one that finally broke Cynthia off after our Chinese fire drill was a hefty cat. Interesting that Brad got into one too.
SLURP
Angler

Post by SLURP »

JWall wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:41 pm You were spot on with the deeper bite. We enjoyed watching you two dissect that flat across from us, it produced for hours! We think the big one that finally broke Cynthia off after our Chinese fire drill was a hefty cat. Interesting that Brad got into one too.
There are no big cats in Barrett - If you were owned it was by a big bass.
Stingray
Angler

Post by Stingray »

Nice fish beauty lake!
I have the same scale love it!
MaxZmus
Pro Angler

Post by MaxZmus »

SLURP wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:13 pm
JWall wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:41 pm You were spot on with the deeper bite. We enjoyed watching you two dissect that flat across from us, it produced for hours! We think the big one that finally broke Cynthia off after our Chinese fire drill was a hefty cat. Interesting that Brad got into one too.
There are no big cats in Barrett - If you were owned it was by a big bass.
I came here to say this ! In all the years I’ve fished the B I’ve never caught, seen, or heard of anything bigger than a 1.5-2lbs bullhead and that’s considered huge for a bullhead.
MaxZmus
Pro Angler

Post by MaxZmus »

21 to 19 was the last count before the video cut off, so I’m guessing no more bites after that. Love the jig bite!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

MaxZmus wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:10 pm 21 to 19 was the last count before the video cut off, so I’m guessing no more bites after that. Love the jig bite!
Nope. He won for sure. I have to say the quality of the fish that day made me enjoy it way more than some 50+ days that I have had there when 20 of them were 12" fish.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

I would have loved to see the one that got away for you. The bullhead that Brad lost was probably around 3lbs. But that was one giant bullhead!
Seaway
Pro Angler

Post by Seaway »

Cool Video.. thanks for the report