If Could Only Bring Three Baits…

Talk about fishing one of the country's premier bass fisheries, Barrett Lake.
TikYakToe
Angler

If Could Only Bring Three Baits…

Post by TikYakToe »

…what would they be?

Be specific on colors, size, weights, …
Bg90
Angler

Re: If Could Only Bring Three Baits…

Post by Bg90 »

Senko popper spinnerbait
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Dang, just 3?

My 3 favorite Barrett baits are A Rig, hudd 68, and a big rat. I’ll have to add a fourth…s waver.

But, senkos or any splitshot worm kills if I feel like wearing out my arm.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Seaway
Pro Angler

Post by Seaway »

Spinner bait, Senko, BrushHog
twin22s
Angler

Post by twin22s »

Bluegill pattern Spinnerbait 3/8oz
albino zoom swimming fluke jr on 1/8oz darter head
1/4 football head finnese jig, big-bites 3" craw trailer.

(for numbers, D/S robo worm, senko and 3.8 kitech)

But honestly the best 3 baits at Barret(or anywhere) are the 3 you are best at fishing.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Well, it depends on the time of year.

For me, it'll be my secret Texas rigged worm, my secret topwater bait, and a spinnerblade.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

My last trip on the 15th, I used one ZMan ChatterSpike in Bad Shad. In the morning it was rigged with a 4/0 Spearpoint Hook. This hook works extra well with the barb pinched down, its long point beds well into the body of the Bait Texas Style. Hooked in this way the Floating Chatterspike can be cast into the thick of cover and twitched, producing both explosive strikes and some that are barely noticeable. When the sun came out I changed to a 1/8 oz. Jighead and fished the outside of the live trees and rocky drop offs for a total of 35 quality Bass, one Crappie, not one dink this trip.
Attachments
dji_mimo_20220703_103330_435_1715876855686_photo.jpeg
dji_mimo_20220316_103116_412_1656555912593_photo.jpeg
IMG_1995.jpeg
IMG_1878.jpeg
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

#1. My PB was caught at Barrett using a Cabela’s smoke metal flake pearl belly swimming minnow pinned on a 1/8 oz ball jig. Since then I have refined this a touch by using the smokey ghost color and a 1/16 oz ball jig. Getting really close looks at the bait balls in this year’s clearer water has me thinking my first color is too bright to match the hatch. The lighter size jig allows my bait to fall slower which has been deadly throwing at the boilers. My new BFS reel also chucks that light size just fine. If I was fishing it deeper and darker where the 9lb PB was caught, I would revert to the original combo.

#2. Smoke sparkle salt n pepper reaper. I have been using reapers at the local lakes since getting shamed decades ago by a bassmaster at El Cap slaying fish after fish near me while I toiled away on small worms. Surprisingly he was kind enough to share his tactics. Anyway I split shot them with #4 or #5 when there is wind and #7 when calm. It’s my go-to when the going gets rough because they flat out catch bass.

#3. Senkos. I’ve been using 5” for years but am going to try smaller on certain days and spots due to recent reports. As for color, I haven’t found one yet that doesn’t work but it seems like lately the pumpkins are working better. And that version with a green and purple flake has just been en fuego everywhere.
Pond_prowler_619
Pro Angler

Post by Pond_prowler_619 »

6th sense crankbait crush in spanish pearl color
Gambler otters in black and blue or green pumpkin
10in worm(get them from ECBT forgot name)in black with a light blue vain,worm seems to pull the bigger ones out
If i choose a 4th..... ZOOM red lizard....6in
Jesus saves 🙌
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

JWall wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:25 pm #1. My PB was caught at Barrett using a Cabela’s smoke metal flake pearl belly swimming minnow pinned on a 1/8 oz ball jig. Since then I have refined this a touch by using the smokey ghost color and a 1/16 oz ball jig. Getting really close looks at the bait balls in this year’s clearer water has me thinking my first color is too bright to match the hatch. The lighter size jig allows my bait to fall slower which has been deadly throwing at the boilers. My new BFS reel also chucks that light size just fine. If I was fishing it deeper and darker where the 9lb PB was caught, I would revert to the original combo.

#2. Smoke sparkle salt n pepper reaper. I have been using reapers at the local lakes since getting shamed decades ago by a bassmaster at El Cap slaying fish after fish near me while I toiled away on small worms. Surprisingly he was kind enough to share his tactics. Anyway I split shot them with #4 or #5 when there is wind and #7 when calm. It’s my go-to when the going gets rough because they flat out catch bass.

#3. Senkos. I’ve been using 5” for years but am going to try smaller on certain days and spots due to recent reports. As for color, I haven’t found one yet that doesn’t work but it seems like lately the pumpkins are working better. And that version with a green and purple flake has just been en fuego everywhere.
Can’t go wrong with reapers! Angler’s has them in every size up to jumbo 6 or 8 inch “sweepers”. I wish bass chow was still in business, they had an awesome reaper copy. Just went through my last ones a couple months ago.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Pond_prowler_619 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:59 pm 6th sense crankbait crush in spanish pearl color
10in worm(get them from ECBT forgot name)in black with a light blue vain,worm seems to pull the bigger ones out
Back in the day, black and blue lizards use to be a go to for me down there. It’s funny how over time you shift from fishing certain baits. I think I’m going to have to bust them out. I think the reason I stopped was the brush hawg came out. The lizard was the original creature bait for me.
Pond_prowler_619
Pro Angler

Post by Pond_prowler_619 »

camobass wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:45 pm
Pond_prowler_619 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:59 pm 6th sense crankbait crush in spanish pearl color
Back in the day, black and blue lizards use to be a go to for me down there. It’s funny how over time you shift from fishing certain baits. I think I’m going to have to bust them out. I think the reason I stopped was the brush hawg came out. The lizard was the original creature bait for me.
Lizards have always gotten bite for me .... normally black and blue is a must throw but for some reason not at barrett at otay lakes they hit like crazy in black and blue...... make sure to take some red zoom lizards im a big believer in zoom lizards
Jesus saves 🙌
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Popper, then jerkbait and then crankbait as the day progresses. Unless conditions keep one of those catching. When they are busting, I like a stick bait but a fluke might be better, I just like to see the hit on the surface.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

camobass wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:45 pmBack in the day, black and blue lizards use to be a go to for me down there. It’s funny how over time you shift from fishing certain baits. I think I’m going to have to bust them out. I think the reason I stopped was the brush hawg came out. The lizard was the original creature bait for me.
I love Barrett for that reason. I get to break out the ole school baits that I haven't used in ages.

For me, it was busting out the ole Tiny Torpedo.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Barrett...........If only 3 for me;
Spinnerbait
Topwater
Jig
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Ain’t no bass man alive that will settle for just 3 baits… Or rods….Or reels… Or maybe even boats.. You guys are worse than fly guys.. No such thing as getting by with 3 of anything… 😉… Now us surf guys can do it with just 1 bait.. Sand crabs…. Well maybe bloodworms… And maybe ghost shrimp… and we might need an LC or 2, or a Kastmaster… Sheesh, I’m as bad as a bass guy!🙄
Butch
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Midnightpass wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:38 pm Ain’t no bass man alive that will settle for just 3 baits… Or rods….Or reels… Or maybe even boats.. You guys are worse than fly guys.
I think it was one of those 'hypothetical questions."

Kinda like if people ask you if you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life.

You can argue that no sane man would settle for just one meal, but it's again, a hypothetical question. A fun, 'what if."
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

DarkShadow wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:04 pm
Midnightpass wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:38 pm Ain’t no bass man alive that will settle for just 3 baits… Or rods….Or reels… Or maybe even boats.. You guys are worse than fly guys.
I think it was one of those 'hypothetical questions."

Kinda like if people ask you if you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life.

You can argue that no sane man would settle for just one meal, but it's again, a hypothetical question. A fun, 'what if."

I get it… Just being a smart a$$ and poking fun at bass guys and their gear… All is good though ,as we all like our gear…
Butch
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Midnightpass wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:39 amI get it… Just being a smart a$$ and poking fun at bass guys and their gear… All is good though ,as we all like our gear…
Butch
Oh, we all do that.

I have a buddy who brings 5 bags, and ends up throwing 2 baits all day.

You're not a bass fisherman if you don't.

:D

I go to my local pond almost every day, and I've learned to throw a beer and a few baits in my shoulder pack. When you focus on technique and areas, rather than your bait, the wonders it brings is magical.
StinkyPinky23
Mega Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

Midnightpass wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:38 pm Ain’t no bass man alive that will settle for just 3 baits… Or rods….Or reels… Or maybe even boats.. You guys are worse than fly guys.. No such thing as getting by with 3 of anything… 😉… Now us surf guys can do it with just 1 bait.. Sand crabs…. Well maybe bloodworms… And maybe ghost shrimp… and we might need an LC or 2, or a Kastmaster… Sheesh, I’m as bad as a bass guy!🙄
Butch
This!!! Everything we have are tools in a toolbox. If I have to go fix something and don’t know what I’m getting into, I’m taking all of it!!! If it’s early season it’s a t-rig/senko, jig, and a spinnerbait. And a frog. Later season, it’s a frog, a-rig, and a jig. Notice how the spinning rods collect dust because they have no place there 😂