Good to be back to the V.

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Good to be back to the V.

Post by Mcfish »

It's been several weeks since I've done a Monday on San V and it felt good to be back! The lake is higher than it's ever been and everything I've learned there in the last 60 years is pretty much out the window! Fortunately, the fish made it easy on me by hanging out in the brush in shallow water. I started out throwing a fluke between the bushes and got a few small fish and then decided to switch over to a senko to see if there was anything larger. I ended up with 24 fish, a couple 3s and a 4.5 . I didn't see any busting fish, still a little early! Now that the lake is mostly silverside baitfish, bring your smallest flukes and topwater's this summer and fall. I miss the shad! Until the topwater happens and the fish move out of the brush, it will be a challenge to fish deeper in the manzanita and old scrub oak. The lake got pretty crowded for a Monday with 30 boats on the lake by noon. One great thing now...launch ramp is way shorter, hope it stays that way in the dog days of summer! Even Vinny could make the short hike up now! If throwing your lure into bushes and trees makes you queasy, you might pick a different lake for the time being!
Screenshot_20240514-100737_Photos.jpg
Attachments
20240513_094222.jpg
20240513_080251.jpg
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: Good to be back to the V.

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

This is definitely the time of year you could bring nothing but a package of size 2 EWG hooks and a couple packages of thin senkos to San V and just pick apart that shallow brush. Watching your line move and then working to get that fish the hell out of the bushes makes for a lot of fun.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Great report and info. Thanks!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Finally NcFish Mondays are back! I am so glad your Monday basket weaving classes are finally over. Word has it you have made
so many very nice baskets that you got an "A" in your class and they wanted you to start teaching the class. Thanks for sharing so
many basket pics with me via text messages, but it is far more exciting to see you back on the water posting and sharing pics
of bass you are catching at San V....not that there is anything wrong with basket weaving.
Bet that was a fun day to pick up where you left off. Pulling bass out of all that cover probably was pretty challenging.
Nice job as always and thanks for sharing your adventure. Tight lines always. :-)

That's quite a collection of baskets you have made.
McFish baskets.jpg
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Look what I made for you, now you can be just like me! You are my favorite basket case!!
Attachments
20240514_152337.jpg
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

Good job. I was there a little over a week ago and had a nice Topwater session. Spooks, whoppers and frogs. Lost a DD bulldogged me deep after inhaling the spook - heart break. Fun times ahead
Attachments
IMG_5388.jpeg
IMG_5409.jpeg
IMG_5398.jpeg
IMG_5408.jpeg
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

otaymichael wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:13 am Good job. I was there a little over a week ago and had a nice Topwater session. Spooks, whoppers and frogs. Lost a DD bulldogged me deep after inhaling the spook - heart break. Fun times ahead
I would expect nothing less from you! I wait for the busters to come up, you force them to come up! Looks like a good summer coming up!