Number of Fish Caught and Time

Talk about fishing one of the country's premier bass fisheries, Barrett Lake.
ehondax
Angler

Number of Fish Caught and Time

Post by ehondax »

Hi All,

I read reports of people catching 40, 50, 60+ fish per trip. My most in one trip is only 15 but I tend to arrive late, well past sunrise. So my question is are people catching like 80% of those 60 fish before sunrise or is it a steady bite throughout the day? I tell myself to get there while dark but it's so hard to wake up lol.

Thanks.
Surferjohn
Angler

Re: Number of Fish Caught and Time

Post by Surferjohn »

Best bite is from 6-6! lol
KillinTime
Mega Pro Angler

Post by KillinTime »

I have had numerous days with 100 plus fish. Those day are reaction baits only. Stay away for plastic baits that presented slowly. Work hard at it and keep casting! Cranks, Jerks, Spinner, topwaters get it done!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

KillinTime wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:48 pm I have had numerous days with 100 plus fish. Those day are reaction baits only. Stay away for plastic baits that presented slowly. Work hard at it and keep casting! Cranks, Jerks, Spinner, topwaters get it done!
Would concur for the most part but every now and then….was kicking my buddy’s ass one day, maybe a 15 fish lead on him when all of a sudden his Senkos started going off. He had like 10 bass in 10 minutes. Had to name the spot after him with that nonsense 😂
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

All depends if you want numbers or want to slow roll a hudd or fish a bigger glide out in deeper waters. I like to fish a trip or two throwing the regulars at them and get my fill with numbers. Then the rest of the trips, dedicate throwing the big baits. They bite the big baits. You may not get crazy numbers but you’ll still get good numbers but it keeps the rats away.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Even though I have not fished Barrett for years, I know that there are many guys who catch and have caught huge numbers of bass.
Reaction baits probably help bring the numbers of bass in like @KillinTime mentioned above. Regarding the
fish reports....when others see those high numbers, in some cases there are a few guys who not want to sound like that had a bad day
and sadly they just make up the number of bass they caught. Heck, why not just be be honest, but then again telling fishing stories or
exaggerating the number and size of a fish is just part of the game of fishing.
I always have more respect for good honest fishermen. Tight lines. :-)
Dfishin
Angler

Post by Dfishin »

I have had 100 and 200 fish days on plastics. That's just how i fish. Although when top water is working I'm doing it. If you don't get bit keep moving. If they are there they will bite.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Dfishin wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:42 am I have had 100 and 200 fish days on plastics. That's just how i fish. Although when top water is working I'm doing it. If you don't get bit keep moving. If they are there they will bite.
"Reaction baits probably help bring the numbers of bass in like @KillinTime mentioned above."

My earlier comment was not saying that guys could not catch high numbers with worms etc.....just that you can work a reaction baits
faster and probably help bring in the numbers if it is working for ya.
Tight lines :-)
Surferjohn
Angler

Post by Surferjohn »

I had times where dropshot was getting bit on every cast for a while. My wife said I was just catching the same fish. So I let one flop around while I hooked another one to prove her wrong. :)
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Many people have mentioned that the best time to catch fish at Barrett is from opening to closing.

The first hour of the day, you have a lot of variables in your favor, which makes the catching easier. If fish are busting, you've already located them, which is half the battle.

As the sun goes up, a lot of people continue to try to do the same thing they were doing before, and don't adjust. Or, they stay in areas way too long. One thing I've noticed at Barrett is that sometimes you'll move 100 feet after not getting a bite, and then suddenly you find a school. If you're not getting bit when you know you should, move.

And, don't force feed the fish with your 'favorite' bait. That pigeon holes a lot of anglers, as they are too stubborn to try a different bait, or presentation, just because they want to catch a fish on a certain bait or presentation.

(And as far as counts, I'm sure there are those who are including the 10" rats to their count, so I don't really care much about the #s that are reported)
Dfishin
Angler

Post by Dfishin »

Wasn't questioning anyone just putting in my 2 cents.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

I'm not convinced that Barrett is a great "dark" lake, but it may be that I am not a great ( or even good) dark fisherman. Overall, the numbers are clearly there at Barrett, there's enough people who do put up impressive numbers but they do it over the course of the day. My experience is that you can catch something all day long there. Just be willing to change your methods to match what they want. Of course when they are busting shad, the best advice might be to have less hooks, if you use a 110 jerkbait with three sets of trebles, you spend time unhooking that you could be spending catching another fish. :)
Borderbasser
Angler

Post by Borderbasser »

For me it’s all about finding the bait. That’s my recipe for success at Barrett. You can catch fish all day long there but the flurries of catching bass one after another have always been when I have found the bait balls. The faster you find bait the faster you will get numbers, and that can happen at anytime.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

All great info but it’s a bummer the dam is closed off. At times, there can be an epic bite there
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Early release wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:11 pm... if you use a 110 jerkbait with three sets of trebles, you spend time unhooking that you could be spending catching another fish. :)
If someone is using any bait that has 3 trebles at Barrett, they need to get off my boat! :D

Just use a fluke. The fish don't care. At that point, please break out the drop shot, so you don't hook me on your back cast.
ehondax
Angler

Post by ehondax »

Thanks all for the great comments and info. Wish I could fish there more often.