RAT Beach Corbina

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
Mike M
Angler

RAT Beach Corbina

Post by Mike M »

I found 4 nice soft shells this morning and converted all 4 to corbina.

It is amazing how the corbina at my local beaches can tell the difference between hard and soft shell crabs. I use straight 8lb mono, so they don't seem to be line shy. My fishing buddies and I joke that they are "crab snobs!"
RAT Beach 7 May 2024.jpg
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Re: RAT Beach Corbina

Post by vdisney »

Awesome Mike, the water is starting to warm up
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Very nice Mike. Soft shell or not, 4 corbs is a fantastic fishing day. It is amazing that they can spot the soft shells in all of that turbulence. But is a fact that they just work better.
Butch
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Post by Perch killer »

You've got the Midas touch on finding those softies. They're like crack for getting beans & croakers. Just have to hope a perch doesn't get to them first LOL ! Still looking for any sc's. Been hit or miss and mostly the latter on SD County beaches. Hopefully will appear soon.
Mike M
Angler

Post by Mike M »

Perch killer wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:10 am ...Just have to hope a perch doesn't get to them first LOL ! ...
The funny thing is, I haven't caught a barred perch between Palos Verdes and King Harbor in over 6 years. I get a few walleye each season, but the barred perch in that stretch have disappeared. Same for my fishing buddies. There are barred perch at Hermosa just north of King Harbor and definitely south of PV, but not in between. One old timer told me he thought the King Harbor seals decimated them and then left the harbor. I'm not sure I believe it, but I don't have any other explanation.
Capture.JPG
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Mike M wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:09 pm
Perch killer wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:10 am ...Just have to hope a perch doesn't get to them first LOL ! ...
The funny thing is, I haven't caught a barred perch between Palos Verdes and King Harbor in over 6 years. I get a few walleye each season, but the barred perch in that stretch have disappeared. Same for my fishing buddies. There are barred perch at Hermosa just north of King Harbor and definitely south of PV, but not in between. One old timer told me he thought the King Harbor seals decimated them and then left the harbor. I'm not sure I believe it, but I don't have any other explanation.
Capture.JPG
I always wondered why I don’t see any BSP in your reports.. So mostly corbs and YFC?.. Both of those get scarce in the winter, in the NOC… Does it just slow down up there in winter, or do yo you still get them?
Butch
Mike M
Angler

Post by Mike M »

It slows in winter for sure. YFC go somewhere else and a few corbina stick around. The BSP are just gone.
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Post by Perch killer »

That is strange for sure. Really good perch season this year so far in SD. Never seen so many slabs . . . 13 - 15"+ models caught the past 4+ months. Still some good size ones hanging around.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Perch killer wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:47 pm That is strange for sure. Really good perch season this year so far in SD. Never seen so many slabs . . . 13 - 15"+ models caught the past 4+ months. Still some good size ones hanging around.
Same in the NOC… It’s been the best season in years for BSP… Gonna give it a shot in the AM…
Butch
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Post by Perch killer »

Gave it a shot myself this AM. Pacific Beach, found a huge hole but full of salad and all up & down the beach; somehow managed one 10"+ model through all the junk. Made a move to Mission and found the nursery for a half dozen cookie cutters. More importantly, sand crabs finally arrived so better days should be ahead.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Perch killer wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:04 am More importantly, sand crabs finally arrived so better days should be ahead.
Crabs were out in full force in the NOC today… the beach was covered with them.
Butch
surfMOM
Angler

Post by surfMOM »

I appreciate the South Bay fishing reports Mike, thanks for posting about your sessions. Please keep them coming.
Yes, the corbina are definitely finicky and preferring the soft shells regardless of size but they are out there and they are hungry. Been catching some very thick corbina this spring on both low and high tide, giving a strong fight.
No barred surf perch down our way at all and I'm just frothing to catch one at my local. I did hook a few last month when I ventured over to Manhattan for a session. They're so small though and not at all of eating size.
Redondo scorecard this evening :
22" halibut - Keitech on a dropshot from the jetty
17" corbina - two small size on the hook softshell CRig
little guy corbina - softshell CRig
little guy walleye - Gulp sandworm CRig
Attachments
halibut.jpg